USU members host a week of events to encourage inclusive language

A few of the offensive words and phrases CSUN students posted on the front window of Plaza del Sol to display the importance of inclusive language Feb. 15. Photo credit: Daisy Perez

“Ditzy”, “sweetie” and “that’s retarded” were just a few of the hurtful words and phrases students posted on the Sol Center’s front windows to kick off the University Student Union’s second annual Inclusive Language Campaign, “Change Your Words, Change the World” week.

The campaign encourages students to reconsider using potentially offensive words by thinking of other ways to deliver the same meaning. Through a series of events, the USU aims for individuals to avoid impacting each other in a negative way, regardless if intentional or not.

Word Bubble,” the first event of the week-long campaign, ran all day outside the Plaza del Sol in the USU. Students volunteered to anonymously write a word or phrase they found offensive or hurtful to display on the Sol Center’s front window to highlight the importance of inclusive language.

Tuesday night’s event, “Mean it!? The Impact of Our Words” hosted speaker Jessica Pettitt, diversity educator, at the Grand Salon in the CSU regarding the importance of inclusive language.

Various events will continue to be hosted daily till Feb. 18.

Here’s the remaining event:

Thursday, Feb. 18

The Soapbox: A Celebration of Free & Inclusive Speech

The final event of the CSUN Poetry Slam Team and live music will be hosted. A Vent Tent, Wheel of Words, ball pit, photo booth, craft corner and multiple other activities will be set up for individuals to get involved and gain a better understanding of inclusive language. The event goes from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Plaza del Sol, USU.