A.S. senate elections scheduled on possible CFA strike days

A.S. President Jorge Reyes and A.S. Vice President speak to senators about the CSU task force financial model proposal.

Associated Students’ stance on the California Faculty Association and California University administration negotiation and strike remains neutral.

A.S. officials gave their view of the negotiation between the CFA and CSU as the possible strike will continue until an agreement is reached.

“As the A.S. president, I think it’s really unfortunate that both parties don’t seem to reach consensus,”A.S. President Jorge Reyes said. “I hope that they can lead to an agreement so students don’t get caught in between.”

As reported in the past, CFA has requested a 5 percent general salary increase for all faculty members for the 2015–2016 academic year.

“The faculty have not received raises since 2008 when they were forced to furlough,” A.S. Vice President Sevag Alexanian said. “By taking a look at the facts, you can see that a percentage raise is necessary.”

When asked about the current stance A.S. holds on the matter, the response was simple.

“As an A.S., we have submitted a legislative referral to take a stance on the strike,” Alexanian said. “We are additionally waiting for the non-bias report that is to be presented in the coming weeks that will give us a better understanding of where we stand and how we should move forward.”

With strike dates set for April 13 to 15 and April 18 to 19, the A.S. elections may be drastically affected, according to members.

“It’s unfortunate that the strike dates with fall on the A.S. elections,” Alexanian said. “Although there will be polling locations all around campus. We do understand many people will not show up for school due to the strike and certain students may not attend the elections that normally would have if the strike wasn’t happening.”

Although the campus polling may be lower than the previous election year, the hope is to surpass the 12.7 percent voting turn out record.

“Students can vote online which is a nice thing through their CSUN email,” Alexanian said. “They will receive a link on the election days where they can place their vote. Vote counts just like the elections that are held at the national level. So students should make sure to cast their vote.”

With A.S. members unclear of which approach they will be taking, they are clear that members will continue to remain neutral until after spring break.

“We are well aware of the situation and are looking at how it will affect the students,” Chelsea Turner, A.S. graduate, said. “We are all ears and want to make it easier for faculty and students. Spring break is coming up, so when we come back we will sit down and take a better look into things.”

Once A.S. receives all the information needed to take a standpoint on the CFA strike, a decision will be made, according to members.

Until that time, A.S. will continue to go on with their meetings and prepare for the upcoming elections.

Jose Romero contributed to the reporting to this story.