Where to hike during the Runyon Canyon closure

Beginning April 1, Runyon Canyon will be closed forcing Los Angeles hikers to venture out to different trails. (Wally Skalij/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

This is the last weekend for hiker’s to enjoy Hollywood’s famous Runyon Canyon before it’s officially closed to the public from April 1 through July 31.

According to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, the cause for the temporary closure is an aging six-inch pipe that stretches one mile through the park and needs to be replaced immediately.

Four months may seem like forever to those of you who feel as though Runyon Canyon is your home away from home; but don’t be discouraged because here are a few alternative hiking trails you can explore instead:

Murphy’s Ranch Trail: Located at Capri Drive and Casale Road in Los Angeles, CA 90272. Once your at Capri Drive and Casale Road, you head left on Casale Road through a residential area until you get to a yellow gate which is where the trail begins. The trail takes you through an old abandoned Nazi refuge built in the 1930s by Nazi sympathizers in the middle of the mountains in Pacific Palisades. Murphy’s Ranch hiking trail is a distance of 3.85 miles. There is also a set of stairs you can adventure onto that go down the side of a mountain.

The Grotto Trail: Located at 12896 Yerba Buena Rd, Malibu, CA 90265. On this trail you can experience walking through waterfalls and even some crazy caves. According to hikespeak.com, the main parking area is located at the “Circle X Ranch,” from there you walk down the access road to a small group campsite and you will then see the single track trail to the Grotto, which descends into a verdant canyon. The distance roundtrip to the Grotto is 3.5 miles.

Eaton Canyon Falls Trail: A beautiful and scenic hike located at 1750 N. Altadena Dr. Pasadena, CA 91107. The parking is free and the parking lot is located at the Eaton Canyon Park Nature Center. This hiking trail lead you to a 40-foot waterfall, a shallow wadding pool, and multiple stream crossing. To the waterfall and back is a distance of 3.5 miles roundtrip.

Wisdom Tree Trail: Located in Griffith Park, you can park along Lake Hollywood Drive and head East uphill on Wonder View Drive. Continue past a yellow vehicle gate and the paved road turns into a dirt road and Wonder View trail is the unmarked path on the right. This path takes you down Cahuenga Peak, where you can see views of the Griffith Observatory and Downtown LA. The trail becomes a ridge line and splits, heading west towards the left, this short path will take you to the Wisdom Tree. At the base of the tree you will a box where people leave letters and wishes inside of it.

Fryman Canyon Loop Trail and the Hidden Rainforest Trail: Located in Studio City, you will find a large parking area at the intersection of Laurel Canyon Boulevard and Fryman Road which are South of Ventura Boulevard. Along the trail you’ll see a path to your right, leading to a staircase. This takes you to the Tree People community and landscaping park. At the end of the trail you will come to a cul-de-sac at Iredell Lane that will lead you to the hidden Rainforest Trail. It may seem as though you’re heading towards the driveway of a home, but after about 20-feet you will reach a sign that says Rainforest Trail. Here you can see an old abandoned car, a rope swing, and a beautiful view of the San Fernando Valley.

Essentials items for Hiking:

• Navigation: map, compass or an alternative form of GPS
  • Sun Protection: sunscreen, SPF chapstick, and sunglasses
  • First-aid kit
  • Matches or lighter
  • Source of light: flashlight and extra batteries
  • Plenty of water and nutritional snacks that will provide you with a boost of energy
  • Pocket knife or whistle

Don’t Forget:

• Check the weather: If there’s a possibility of rain or cold weather, bring a jacket
  • Wear comfortable footwear
  • Backpack to carry all these items inside