Need 2 Read: Wednesday Book Column

File Photo/The Sundial

Title: All the Birds in the Sky

Author: Charlie Jane Anders

Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy

Pages: 316

$7.36 – $15.47

Related Reads: Sharon Guskin, “The Forgetting Time: A Novel” Ethan Canin, “A Doubter’s Almanac: A Novel”

For fans of magic and adventure, be sure to check out “All the Birds in the Sky” by Charlie Jane Anders. Patricia Delfine, a witch, and Laurence Armstead, a techie who has invented a time machine that can fast forward two seconds into the future, are close friends in high school. Naturally, as the years go on, distance separates them. The story moves forward 7 and then 10 years into the future, after high school, where the world is crumbling with natural disasters. As Patricia and Laurence rekindle their friendship with one another they must try to figure out how they can apply their magical and scientific gifts to save the world. Within their search on how to use their gifts, they will find out if they are meant for good or bad.

Title: What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours

Author: Helen Oyeyemi

Genre: Short Stories

Pages: 336

$13.99 – $22.50

Related Reads: Ken Liu, “The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories

If you enjoy short stories, “What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours” is a perfect read for you. In Helen Oyeyemi’s latest book, she intertwines nine different stories beautifully and brings each one back to one small detail; a key or a lock. Each short story, whether it is about two characters finding the lock to a key they always carry, or theoretically unlocking the key to some overall message. This is a wonderfully crafted book and if you love the idea of following characters and the same underlying plot – a lock or key – pick this book up and start reading.

Title: Tuesday Nights in 1980

Author: Molly Prentiss

Genre: Fiction

Pages: 321

$12.99 – $13.00

Related Reads: Anna QUindlen, “Miller’s Valley: A Novel”

If the ’80s intrigues you in the least, be sure to grab a copy of “Tuesday Nights in 1980” by Molly Prentiss. The story is told with three main characters, all coming to New York City during the 1980s. There is James Bennett, an art critic, Raul Engalas, a painter and Lucy Olliason, who becomes Raul’s muse. They all meet at a New Year’s Eve party in 1979, and little do they know, their lives will become intertwined. There are many tragedies that the reader will follow along with in the story, some more devastating than others. The two male characters both lose their capability to perform their talents and the story takes you on a journey of rediscovery for the both of them as well as Lucy. This book will leave you thinking about the underlying messages long after you put it down and might even make you crave New York a little.