José Luis Vargas: A career timeline

Sean James, CSUN Alumnus and current staff, has worked with Jose Luis Vargas for 11 years. He wears a shirt to the memorial with a photo of Vargas. “We are all him,” James says. “He is not gone. He is still with us.” Photo credit: Patricia Perdomo

A memorial for José Luis Vargas, the director of CSUN’s Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), will be held April 29. Vargas, a longtime employee who helped students strive for success, died March 19 following a brief illness. He had dedicated a majority of his life to giving back to the organization and university, and as a college student, quickly became an advocate for the community. Vargas used his passion, conviction and professionalism to mentor thousands of students and uplift them to believe in themselves to succeed at the highest level and achieve their goals. The memorial will be held at 2 p.m. on Friday April 29, at the Valley Performing Arts Center (VPAC), located on campus at Cal State University, Northridge.

If interested, please RSVP by Thursday, April 21, here. Donations can also be made to the CSUN Foundation, which will support the José Luis Vargas Scholarship, by sending a check to Jose Luis Vargas Scholarship, CSUN Foundation, 18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330-8296, or here.

For more information, contact CSUN Foundation at (881) 677-4657.