Los Angeles celebrates Mexican Independence Day

TNS
Carlos Gonzales Gutierrez, Consul General of Mexico, re-enacts El Grito, Father Miguel Hidalgo’s 1810 call for independence, at the Fiesta del Grito at the Capitol in Austin, Texas, on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015. The City of Austin, the Consulate General of Mexico, the Mexican American Legislative Caucus and the Fiesta de Independencia Foundation hosted the Dies y Seis celebration on the south steps. The event marked the 205th Anniversary of Mexico’s independence from Spain. (Jay Janner/Austin American-Statesman/TNS)

On Sept. 16, 1810, Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, a Mexican Catholic priest, announced a revolution against Mexico’s Spanish colonial government.

Hidalgo had his revolt planned, but word had gotten out and colonial officials set out after those who stood behind the priest. According to history.com, on Sept. 15, 1810, Hidalgo was notified he was next on the Spanish’s list and acted immediately.

The following morning, in the town of Dolores, Hidalgo declared a revolt against the Spanish colonial system from the pulpit of his church and invited his churchgoers to join him. The words he spoke later became known as the famous speech, “El Grito de Dolores” (the “Cry of Dolores”).

Hidalgo and his army marched to Mexico City, accompanied by a Mexican-born officer in the Spanish army who switched sides and fought for independence. The two leaders were later captured in June and July of 1811.

Friday and throughout the weekend, Los Angeles and surrounding areas celebrate the historical event in different ways.

Sept. 16

“El Grito de Dolores” at City Hall and Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles.

The historic “El Grito de Dolores” speech is reenacted every year from the steps of city hall.

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Cost: Free

L.A. City Hall, City Council Chamber, 200 North Spring Street

Los Angeles, CA 90012

Sept. 18

East Los Angeles Mexican Independence Day Parade & Festival

A half-mile parade beginning at the corner of Cesar Chavez Boulevard and Mednik Avenue is followed by a street festival on Mednik Avenue and 1st Street. At last year’s parade, LA Galaxy forward Giovani dos Santos was honored as Grand Marshall.

Cost: Free

Time: Parade 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., festival 11 a.m to 5 p.m.

Corner of Cesar Chavez Boulevard and Mednik Avenue

Sept. 16 and 17

Fiestas Patrias Los Angeles

An annual celebration of Mexican Independence Day including live music, carnival games, rides, and tasty Mexican cuisine.

Cost: Free

Time: Friday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday noon to 8 p.m.

Olvera Street

Los Angeles, CA 90012