CSUN’s Second Annual Fast Pitch

Judges stepped outside the Ferman presentation room to deliberate. The three top teams chosen will receive a combined total of up to $4,000 and will be better prepared for the bull Ring in the spring semester. Photo credit: Vanessa Saenz

Students had the opportunity to pitch their business venture ideas to a distinguished panel of judges on Tuesday for CSUN’s second annual Fast Pitch Competition.

Faculty, peers, and community members filled every seat in the room as Ryan Holbrook, director of the entrepreneurship program in the Nazarian college, began opening remarks for Fast Pitch.

This year, 22 applications were submitted to the competition by student teams from across the campus, compared to a total of six last year. Through a closed screening process 10 finalist teams were chosen.

Students had three minutes and three presentation slides to show the audience and judges – Ash Sobhe founder of R6S, Tracy Gray managing partner of The 22 Capital Group, Alan Campos founder of SVC iRepair and Russel Weissman vice president of All Day Media.

Pitches were followed by a question-and-answer portion, judge deliberations and an audience choice vote. Awards were given to the top three teams and audience choice.

A grand prize of $2,000 was given to Edgar Limon, Arvin Flores and Jasmine Beeman for WebApes, a Smart Script that could be embedded within web pages considered inaccessible for the visually impaired. WebApes would identify and organize content allowing for easy navigation.

The second place prize of $1,000 was given to Sleepyhead, an e-commerce sleep startup that sells a memory foam mattress and topper that would ship in a large box, anywhere in the U.S. For every 10 mattresses sold, one is given to a person in need.

Third place of $500 was given to Fit Us, a free mobile app for users to find workout partners or trainers.

The audience choice award of $500 was given to We-Go, a mobile event marketplace for on-campus events.