Employees receive flu shot vaccinations in training room of Oviatt Library

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Student Health Center (SHC) offered walk-in influenza vaccinations to the CSUN staff and faculty in the HR Training Room of the Oviatt Library Oct. 27 and 28 from 12 to 2 p.m.

This is the second year the flu shots have been offered on campus and due to high demand, the clinics took place two days. The flu shots cost $15 cash or check.

The Inactivated Influenza (flu) vaccine is given through an injection into the muscle and is recommended to all adults and children six months or older. The vaccine starts preventing the flu virus two weeks after the shot and lasts up to a year.

The Annual Seasonal Influenza should not be confused with the H1N1also known as the swine flu, which requires a separate vaccination. The swine flu vaccinations are expected to arrive on campus in the future. No exact date was given, but about 1,000 dozes will be available for free.

The flu vaccinations were first be delivered to the people who fit the criteria the Center for Disesase Control and Prevention (CDC) established. According to Mercedes Gallup, the clinical support unit supervisor who was administrating the flu shots, the people in this category are pregnant women, children and adults from infancy to 24 years old. Those caring for infants less that six months old and people from 25 to 64 years of age who have a “secondary health condition” are included in this category.

As she prepared to administer the shots, Gallup talked about last year’s clinics that delivered about 160 dozes of the vaccine in two days.

“… Last year it was really popular and we actually added a day. I brought reimbursements so it’s going a little bit faster this time,” she laughed.

Nursing student Sahar Zarbakhsh helped administer some of the shots and her instructor, Fran Zonfrillo oversaw the procedures. Yin May Tieu assisted with the immunizations and other paperwork.

“I have many titles… I even drive them!” Tieu said.

The afternoon seemed productive as the line formed and shots were given in a timely manner.

“It (flu shot clinic) has been very successful and popular with the staff and faculty because it is quick, it’s at lunch time, it’s in a convenient location and they really appreciate it,” said Mercedes when asked about the success of the clinics.

One of the staff members who received the shot for the first time, Kate Siegel, was asked to stay for10 minutes in case of a reaction to the shot.

” I heard about this by e-mail, (all) staff got it.” When asked if she would like to receive the Swine Flu vaccination if it is provided she was quick to answer, “Yes, I would love to be here for the H1N1 if it is available.”

To learn more about available flu shots and other health information visit Student Health Center at www.csun.edu/shc/