A record label run entirely by CSUN students? That would be VOVE

Renee Rothe
Slater Aiello, left, Robin Thompson, middle, and Jason Matson, right

Five of Five Music Entertainment, also known as VOVE, is a class offered under the music industry studies major at CSUN. The goal of the class is to produce a complete album by the end of the spring semester, with the fall semester dedicated to finding their artists.

In previous years, VOVE has selected a featured artist and spent the school year creating an album for them. This year, the class has decided to completely shake things up by creating a collaborative album featuring nine artists and multiple genres of music. The album is set to be released on May 12.

Robin Thompson, one of the co-executives for VOVE, said that he hopes this year’s album creates a lasting impact for future classes. Something that they can look at and say, “That was awesome, now let’s do even better.”

There are two members of the VOVE team that have been pivotal in the creation of this year’s album: co-producers Slater Aiello and Jason Matson.

“Jason and Slater have definitely epitomized what it means to take something to another level,” Thompson said. “You can either be a student and be in the class and just go through the motions or you can do what Jason and Slater are doing and just go above and beyond. They’ve just done a great job.”

Aiello and Matson are also featured in some of the instrumentals – Aiello playing bass and Matson on percussion.

“As co-producers, we just want to get every song to the best place it can be by infusing both of our personal styles into it. It has been yielding some really cool results so far,” Aiello said.

Aiello also spoke very passionately about VOVE and their upcoming album. He mentioned that he wishes that every CSUN student who has an interest in music production knew about VOVE.

“As a producer, it is a dream to be supported at this level,” Aiello said.

Matson also had positive things to say about the record label.

“VOVE is super special for us as producers just coming out of college because we don’t have a ton of financial support yet, to do something like a string session at a studio or a choir session,” Matson said. “With VOVE we can do those things and we’re so grateful for that.”