The upside of taking your children to day care

Student-Parents at CSUN, 

Making the decision to go to college with children can sometimes solely depend on finding proper childcare.  This can be a difficult challenge, especially when there aren’t any family members or friends around to help.

What parents don’t know is that some colleges provide subsidized child care to low-income families.  These day cares are located on-site and/or sometimes provided through a network of local day cares.

Every time I tell someone that my daughter goes to day care through the college, they look stunned, and always tell me they never even knew there was a day care on campus.
It’s true, Associated Students (A.S.) at CSUN, provides on-site child care at the Children’s Center located right here on campus.  The cost is on a sliding scale according to the student’s total family income. 

“I am a single mother of two and I go to school. I can barely pay my tuition/books with the aid given and if you add day care it’s not enough but luckily, CSUN offers a subsidized program which saved me,” said Marla Pizzia, a senior liberal studies major and mother of two kids that attend the Children’s Center where she is also co-chair of the parents group.

Some parents find it hard to leave their kids with someone they don’t know, but I have found that my children have learned a lot from the day care experience.  The most important thing is to make sure they are well taken care of and there are learning tools that will prepare them for elementary school.

“One benefit of taking a child to day care is that children get to be involved with other children their age,” said Alejandra Gonzalez, a teacher at the Children’s Center who graduated from CSUN in 2006 with a B.A. in Child Development. “At day care, children can develop their social skills but at home, they may not have the same opportunity.”
I’ve found that day care has provided my children with more structure and has taught them how to manage a well-balanced daily routine as well as enhanced their social skills.  This is extremely beneficial, as it’s important for me to have a well-managed schedule while attending school full time.

For more information, go to the A.S. Web page at www.csunas.org/childrenscenter/index.php.

Next Wednesday, the topic of discussion will be managing homework.