A.S. to vote on SB1070 resolution

Dina Cervantes, a former CSSA chair, gives the invocation during Tuesday's meeting. She complimented the A.S. senate for their hard work this semester and the impact they made across campus that will have lasting effects. Photo Credit: Christianna Triolo / Staff Photographer

A resolution stating that CSUN will refrain from conducting business with the State of Arizona was tabled until May 25 because it was not approved in time for A.S. to vote on it.

A.S. President Abel Pacheco told the senators to keep working on the resolution even though the semester is nearly over.

This includes participating in any conventions or other business that requires university resources unless SB 1070 is repealed.

According to the resolution, SB 1070 is a senate bill signed by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer that encourages racial profiling and violates the 14th Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection.

“SB1070 is really disgusting, in my opinion, on how it profiles people,” said A.S. Senator Guyon McCormack during the discussion.

The resolution is based on the L.A. City Council’s resolution that states they won’t contract with Arizona or travel there until the bill is repealed, McCormack said.

McCormack said A.S. will make a recommendation to the university president not to get textbooks from there, travel for conferences there or ask guest speakers from Arizona to come here.

The bill states that it requires all local law enforcement to investigate a person’s immigration status when there is a reasonable suspicion that the person is in the country unlawfully, regardless of whether that person is suspected of a crime.

“Reasonable suspicion could mean anything,” McCormack said.

Dan Monteleone, director of elections, asked A.S. during open forum to consider the impact the economic boycott will have on the university.
A.S. General Manager David Crandall also spoke on the resolution.

He said it resolves to direct the university to do certain things, but it should focus more on what A.S. will do. Crandall said A.S. needs to word the resolution to something they can control.

A.S. ended their final meeting of the semester with goodbyes, congratulatory words to graduating leaders and discussions of next semester’s leaders continued dedication.

“You may not see the impact now, but you’ll see it in the years to come,” said Dina Cervantes, invocation speaker.

Cervantes, former chair of California State Student Association (CSSA), encouraged A.S. to continue their hard work as leaders because what they do is important.

“It is as much as you make it,” Cervantes said. “What you learn here, you will carry outside of the organization. What you’re doing is not small.”

A.S. approved funding for the Muslim Students Association for Islamic Awareness Week as well as the constitution of two clubs: Unite for Sight and University Bible Fellowship.

Unite for Sight is a club that advocates for proper eye care, said a representative from the newly instated club. It motivates and encourages volunteers to be proactive to make a real change.

Two resolutions were also approved during Tuesday’s meeting.

The first resolution that states A.S. supports a University 100 seminar, which will show students how to read their degree progress reports (DPR) and instructions on how to use the portal.

University 100 is a general education course intended to help freshman especially understand requirements in their field of study and learn about the campus resources available to them.

In the resolution, A.S. encourages the university to host a seminar targeting the portal and the DPR specifically to help students graduate in a timely manner and have a positive college experience.

The second resolution approved recognizes the work and efforts of Dr. Steven Oppenheimer, a CSUN biology professor, for receiving the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring.

Also tabled for May 25 are revisions to the budget language and standing rules.

Pacheco said he amended the standing rules to include more accountability for the A.S. president.