CSUN’s Associated Student’s Ticket Office provides discounted tickets to students

With the hard economic times, students are taking advantage of the various discounted tickets sold at Associated Students’ (A.S.) Ticket Office.

For graduate student Farzad Bavarian, 27, studying engineering management, buying theme park tickets is the way to go. Bavarian said it’s easy and it feels great having extra cash in his wallet from the savings. Last summer Bavarian and his friends went to both Magic Mountain and Universal Studios for only $75.

Nantanit Songpry, A.S. Ticket Office supervisor said that students should always carry their CSUN student identification to receive the special offers around campus and at the ticket office.

Students and staff can receive discounted admission tickets to the following theme parks: Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, Sea World, Knotts Berry Farm and the San Diego Zoo with savings up to $15.   Students are not limited to purchasing only one ticket as they can also purchase a ticket for a friend.

“If I only knew about the savings when I was a freshman I would have taken advantage of the services a long time ago because there’s nothing better than saving money,” Bavarian said.

Not every student is aware of the savings at the ticket office and, some don’t realize they can save money until it’s too late.

Mark Regimbal, 23, said he had never gotten discounted tickets on campus before.

“It wasn’t until recently that I actually took advantage of the savings opportunities right here on campus,” said Regimbal, a senior studying biology.

“I think the ticket office needs to be advertised better,” Regimbal said. “Once students see the money they can save on all types of events, it’s hard to stay away.”

With movie prices as high as $15, college students like freshman Katie Turner, 18, an undecided major, said she usually waits until a movie comes out on DVD.  Instead of waiting for new movies to come out on DVD, CSUN students can purchase movie tickets for Pacific Theatre and AMC Theaters for $7.

Tickets to events held on campus like theater productions, concerts and sporting events can be purchased at the Ticket Office. Students must present their student identification to get the discounted rates, Songpry said. If bringing a friend, the friend must purchase a non-student ticket for a slightly higher rate.  Ticket prices vary and are decided by the department holding the event. The ticket office works with many departments and several student organizations on campus, Songpry added.

Students can also save money on public transportation.  Bus passes and metro link discounts are offered. Student funding last year provided by AS gave a $20 discount for monthly bus passes. Students paid $42 instead of $62.

Prices are expected to go up in July but transportation discounts will still be offered, said Songpry.

Two of the biggest shows offered last semester were the Vagina Monologues and Matador Nights, Songpy said.Matador Nights is a free event but tickets are required for admission to the event in order to keep track of attendees.  The Big Show and guest speaker Dr. Maya Angelou were also big hits Songpry added.

Athletics, musicals and operas are very popular student events,  Songpry said.

“I enjoy going to CSUN sporting events because it’s fun and I’m supporting our school,” said Bavarian.

Tickets to musicals are approximately $20 for adults and $8 for students if the ticket is purchased before the first day of the performance.  Prices go up to $13 if bought after the first day, Songpry said..

The ticket office is a non-profit organization with a no refund policy. Tickets can not be replaced if lost, Songpry added.

An A.S. Fair, held in August will introduce students to events on campus and the savings they are eligible for. Students are encouraged to attend, Songpry said.

Our goal is to assist students in many ways with production in their activities, transportation and other productions on campus,  Songpry added.