Greeks must unite to build a stronger community

From left to right (Neal Sazon, Dustin Beech, M atthew Kadota, Andre Karchemsky, Joyce Grair- Community Outreach Director,Steven Boy Ow, Corey I ngram, Kyle Potter, Carlos Barrera, Rodolfo Hernandez Junior, Ryan Ramirez, Alexi Sciutto, Steven Popovic)/Courtesy of Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Earlier this month Greek-letter fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) partnered with Habitat for Humanity to build homes for deserving families in Pacoima. Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide a decent, safe and affordable place to live for every man, woman and child.

The organization has successfully built over 350,000 houses for 1.75 million people around the world, and SAE is incredibly grateful for the opportunity to work alongside Habitat for Humanity to promote the well being of San Fernando Valley.

On arrival at the work site, Habitat volunteers greeted 20 brothers of SAE who were immediately put to work.

With gloves and hard hats on, a Habitat for Humanity volunteer leader split everyone into groups to work on different parts of the houses.

Whether it was clearing rocks, plowing gardens, installing doors, cleaning graffiti, or painting walls, each SAE member took ownership in his work because one day spent helping others could mean a lifetime of happiness for new residents of those homes.

It is not uncommon for fraternities and sororities at CSUN to help foster and promote leadership in the community through partnership with deserving organizations to deliver necessary help to those who seek it.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity demonstrates Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s interest in the community and working alongside Habitat for Humanity fulfilled the fraternity’s desire to serve its community and help those in need.

SAE will continue to aid local nonprofit organizations and we extend an invitation to the rest of the Greek community at CSUN to join us in the effort to make our community stronger.

Steven Popovic is the recruitment chair of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.