New Satellite Student Union study room opens near Geronimo’s

Robert Weigand, 20, spends four days a week in the Satellite Student Union’s (SSU) Shoshone Room, which was recently converted into a study space.

Weigand, a double-major in English and cinema and television arts (CTVA), studies at least three to four hours a day in this room.

“I think it’s good to have an extra space you can go to and just study when you need to,” Weigand said. “I feel like you can focus better in a quiet space rather than your own apartment building.”

Weigand, a sophomore, said he comes to the Shoshone Room because there is plenty of light, allowing him to easily see what he is studying.

He said he appreciates the spaciousness and could make a little noise, knowing it would not disrupt other students.

“I would recommend this to other students who care about studying and doing well, especially if midterms and other exams are coming up,” Weigand said. “This would be a good place to study because it’s quiet and it allows you the opportunity to think it through.”

The Shoshone room, which is open to all students, was converted in August, said Kristie Godfrey, manager of the SSU and computer labs.

“It’s a better space, it’s an ensured space for individual and study groups,” she said.

The room features free wireless access, 40 study tables, more than 50 accompanying grey chairs and a few lounge areas, Godfrey said.

She said the room could accommodate approximately 100 students.

“I sleep on the couch when I need to take a nap and then I go back to studying,” said Hugo Martinez, a senior graphic design major. “I like the room because it’s bigger and it’s very comfortable.”

Martinez, 25, said students should take advantage of the room because it is very quiet.

It is near the cafeteria and market, so students could get something to eat or drink while there, he added.

The Shoshone Room was previously a meeting room and is located near Geronimo’s, an all-you-can eat restaurant, Godfrey said. When Geronimo’s expanded, the union lost a meeting room and a hallway leading to the Shoshone Room.

Godfrey said this change impacted the flow of  traffic, making it more difficult to access the room.

When this space started losing functionality, Godfrey started brainstorming ideas for how the room could be used.

Godfrey and her manager had a few proposals, with the study room as their first choice. With the approval of the student union board of directors, the study room became a reality. It took approximately two weeks and $60 to convert the room, she said.

Godfrey, her student staff and seven building managers, switched furniture between the Shoshone Room and the Sola de la Osa, which was the previous study room.

The Sola de la Osa now functions as a meeting room where students and outside organizations can meet and rent out, Godfrey said.

The $60 was used to purchase lamps for individual study tables, she said.

“We are trying to be fiscally responsible,” Godfrey said. “I bought the lamps and the rest was just utilizing existing resources.”

Godfrey said she hopes to put up two whiteboards, as well as paint the entire room during the upcoming winter break.

“I think it’s a win-win for the students and the university as a whole,” Godfrey said.

She said she has seen more students come and work in this study space.

“Our ultimate goal is so students can graduate,” Godfrey said. “If students feel they belong and are connected to the campus, it’s more likely they’ll stay and finish.”