VPAC’s ticket sales surpass projections

VPAC not only offers artistic and cultural fare but also employs CSUN students. Photo credit: Patrick Dilanchian / Assistant Photo Editor

The grand opening of the Valley Performance Arts Center means the San Fernando Valley finally has a world-class performing arts venue.  Patrons, who have been following VPAC’s progress, can finally enjoy entertainment booked at the facility.

As of last week, the VPAC ticket office and website have sold over 815 season tickets and more than 11,000 single tickets for the spring.  The number surpassed the quota of 800 season tickets established by the marketing team, said Robert Bucker, dean of the Mike Curb College of Arts, Media and Communication and executive director of the VPAC.

“Ticket sales are going really well, some events are close to getting sold out,” Bucker said.  The Russian National Ballet’s Swan Lake performing on Feb. 8 was one of the first shows to sell out.

Bucker and the marketing team have made ticket sales one of their top priorities, he said. From street-banners, billboards and articles published in a variety of media, they are trying to reach out to people outside of campus.

“It’s all about getting the word out,” Bucker said.  “We’re trying to get people to come to the facility, those that have never been on our campus before.”

CSUN students and faculty, as well as community members, had the chance to start purchasing tickets as of Nov. 1, 2010. According to box office officials, overall reaction to ticket prices has been positive.

“Patrons that have been to other venues notice that our prices and service charges are lower than others,” said Jose Felix, VPAC ticket box office coordinator.  “Most people are happy with our prices.”

Single tickets as well as season ticket prices vary based on seating and performance. Bucker said the marketing team made attempts to maintain a non-fluctuating cost for tickets.

“Once you put a system together, you need to try to keep a consistent price,” he said.

As of now, tickets for premium events can range from $70 to $25 and marquee events go for $55 to $15.  Discounted tickets are available for CSUN faculty and students at a 40 percent rate.

“We wanted to provide an incentive,” Bucker said.  “We can’t give the tickets away but we wanted to make the discount as deep as we could.”

Leanne Vincent, the coordinator for student leadership for Associated Students said she has attended events and shows at the Thousand Oaks Civic Plaza but now looks forward to taking advantage of the marked-down ticket prices at VPAC.

“It’s like having the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on our front door step,” she said. “I would rather spend my money here.”

The VPAC marketing team makes efforts via e-mail and the web to maintain communication with their ticket holders and potential guests. Bucker said that although there are still people willing to wait in line for a ticket at the box office, he believes the future of marketing is online.

Vincent who attended the opening gala on Jan. 29 said she has high expectations of the new facility.

“I can’t believe this is on our campus, it’s the most gorgeous thing,” Vincent said. “I want to see the VPAC in action, it will set the stage for the season.”