Lambda Theta Nu hosts a conference to get Latina youth prepared for the transition to college

The Lambda Theta Nu Sorority hosted the Latina Youth Leadership Conference on May 14, 2009 at CSUN. The purpose of the conference was to prepare Latina middle school and high school students for the transition to college.

Over 70 people from San Fernando Valley and the Los Angels areas participated in the event.

The goal of the conference, said student organizer Yuri Treminio, is to help the students “familiarize themselves with college environments, terminology and prerequisites.”

According to Treminio, a senior majoring in journalism and Central American studies, the sorority hoped the event would “demystify” college by introducing participants to financial aid opportunities, college students and campus professionals.

The conference included workshops that focused on leadership skills, self-esteem and the importance of taking collage prep classes in high school.

Angelica Curiel, a child development major and president of CSUN’s Lambda Theta Nu chapter said, One of the goals of the conference was to not only teach the girls what they need to achieve academically, but to also show them how to prepare to enter into society as strong and powerful individuals.

The CSUN chapter of the Lambda Theta Nu Sorority was launched more than 14 years ago. Among the organization’s goals is to foster leadership skills, community service and academic excellence in young women. To find out more about the sorority, visit its Web site at www.lambdathetanu.org.