New movie explores ‘Limitless’ brain power

(Left to right) Bradley Cooper and Andrew Howard star in Relativity Media's LIMITLESS.

The idea that humans only use a fraction of our brains, whether true or not, suggests an untapped mind power waiting to be harnessed. Using this as its premise, the new action thriller, “Limitless,” shows a world where human potential knows no boundaries.

“Limitless,” which will be released in theaters on Friday, March 18, is a fast-paced, action-drama that stars Bradley Cooper, from the unforgettable 2009 bachelor party comedy, “The Hangover” and Oscar winner, Robert De Niro.

Based on the 2001 suspense novel, “The Dark Fields” by Alan Glynn, director Neil Burger (“The Illusionist,” “Interview with the Assassin”) takes you into the life of down-and-out writer Eddie Morra, whose life is transformed when he is introduced to a mysterious drug, allowing him to use 100 percent of his brain, but with subsequent, deadly side effects.

Set in New York City, forlorn and malcontent Morra (Cooper) is suffering from a serious case of writer’s block.

Through a set of “at the right place, at the right time” circumstances, Morra finds himself with a supply of the illegal and untested designer drug NZT, coined “smart drug” given to him by his former brother-in-law.

Desperate to jump-start his writing career, Morra takes the drug that subsequently, allows him to tap into his full intellectual potential.

Because NZT has the ability to reach maximum cognitive function within mere minutes, Morra’s new brainpower allows him to do such things as learn a foreign language or learn to read music in one day.

With his ability to predict future events in the global information age, his new intellect also takes him to Wall Street where he catches the attention of financier Carl Van Loon (Robert De Niro) who asks him to help broker a multi-billion dollar corporate merger.

With only a limited supply of the expensive NZT, paranoia sets in and Morra realizes he is being followed by some shady complicit characters, involved in the underground drug trade. They are keen to his stash of the coveted NZT and will do anything to get their hands on the “perfect” drug.

The dark side of the drug begins to emerge when its euphoric powers wear off. Not only does he become addicted to his newfound intelligence high of NZT, but the devastating side effects leave him mentally and physically unstable.

“Limitless” takes you on a ride of plot twists and turns that will have you on the edge of your seat, anticipating whether or not the confident and resourceful Morra can outsmart the antagonists.

**** out of 5 stars