CSUN’s Iranian Student Association celebrates Persian New Year

Sophomore business management major Sahand Reiisieh, 19, dances at CSUN's Persian New Year celebration. "Red represents fire, joy -- the cleansing of the spirit for the new year," he said. "I'm a promoter of fun an excitement for the new year to come." Photo Credit: Elano Pizzicarola

CSUN’s Iranian Student Association commemorated Persian New Year by organizing a celebratory event on Wednesday in the USU’s Plaza del Sol.

Persian New Year commemorates the first day of spring and has been celebrated for over 1,000 years in the area that makes up modern-day Iran.

“It is Persian New Year, so every year we (the Iranian Student Association) have this event where we want to get people at CSUN to interact and get to know the Persian culture,” Sorme Shamloo, vice president of Iranian Student Association.

“I think it is really important for students to be informed about different cultures,” said Shamloo, 22, accounting major.  “CSUN is a very diverse campus, so it is very important for students to be open and welcoming to that.”

Business finance major Amin Nyakoui, 21, and event coordinator for the Iranian Student Association said Persian culture is deeply rooted in ancient history and the Iranian Student Association wants to share their traditions with the CSUN community.

The Persian New Year event featured music provided by DJ Nema, prizes and traditional Persian food available for $10 per plate.

“We are giving out dollar bills (as prizes) because it is part of Persian tradition during Persian New Year,” Shamloo said. She added that elders in the Persian culture traditionally give money to family members during their New Year celebration.

The Persian New Year celebration is just one of many events the Iranian Student Association organizes during the academic year to raise money and awareness for their organization.

“We are now trying to brand our club and raise awareness of our club to let people know what we are doing and gain support so that we can eventually have an Iranian Studies major, Nyakoui said.

On Saturday, April 9 the Iranian Student Association is holding its main event of the semester at the Encino Banquet and Gardens in Tarzana.

The event is a ‘Cultural Show,’ which will include a comedic skit and traditional music and dancing, Nyakoui said.

Tickets for the “Save The Culture” cultural show will be available pre-sale or with a student ID for $10 or at the door for $15. Doors open at 4 p.m.

CSUN’s Iranian Student Association continues to promote their organization and to bring awareness to their issues throughout the CSUN community.

“What we are trying to do is save the Farsi classes and bring an Iranian Studies program to CSUN,” said Nyakoui.

By holding events like Persian New Year, the Iranian Student Association is able to bring light to their culture and traditions, Attaripour said.

Shamloo, junior, said she has made many friends by being part of the Iranian Student Association and that it has enhanced her college experience at CSUN.

“(Being part of the Iranian Student Association) allows me to get more involved (at CSUN) and I think every student should get involved,” said Shamloo.