Gas crunch: my possible transportation alternative is a motor scooter

So many many thing to do and people to see, but so little money for gas for the necessary commutes is the issue.

A Vespa motor scooter. Motor scooter saves more on gas than a car. Photo credit: shindoverse/Flickr (Creative Commons)

Since January it seems like every other week gas prices have risen, especially here in Los Angeles. And many people have turned to driving less, using public transportation, riding bicycles or even walking.

Bicycle riding has grown a lot as of late and you can tell by just looking out for cyclists in the city.

but how about a motor scooter? Have you seen one?

It seems like a practical mode of transportation now a days, doesn’t it?

It’s been hard to find “reasonable” gas prices in LA alone, where it seems that there aren’t many gas stations charging gas for less than $4.00 a gallon.

For some, it may be stressful spending that much for travel. Might I suggest a motor scooter as an option?

I’ve seen them around the city, in particular a Vespa motor scooter, but I see them more often now, so it dawned on me to check them out.

I have always liked the idea of a motor scooter, especially over motorcycles for some reason and a  Vespa motor scooter is one of the best out there. But, that’s besides the point.

With this gas crunch on my wallet, I decided to look further into my lust of motor scooters. I saw by my house the other day and it costs around $3,3oo. Before I even contemplated the thought of buying one, I had to look at the specifics of my possibel new mode of transportation.

The scooter got about 85-90 miles per gallon. May be that’s because it’s meant to be driven only in the city since it doesn’t go any faster than 40 miles per hour.

Aside from gas economy, one I really became attracted to a Vespa GTS 300 because it can be used on the freeway. It can go up to 80 miles per hour and gets 70 miles per gallon on average. It costs about $6,000, but that price hit to me is like a steal when you think about how much I’d be saving on gas.

That still a lot more than the miles per gallon I get in my “economical” 2007 Honda Accord, which only gets up to 34 miles per gallon.  Don’t get me wrong, that’s pretty good for a car, but if I want to save some money, especially if I want to drive around, or simply commute to work and school, I would love to cut that gas payment.

I would probably spend $20 to fill up the motor scooter tank. I think I’m sold.

And, it seems like fun riding a scooter, especially now that the weather is warming up.