CSUN to participate in 27th Annual AIDS Walk

CSUN will join the fight to find a cure for AIDS Sunday by participating at the 27th Annual AIDS Walk Los Angeles.

Over 200 students have signed up to join CSUN’s team for the 6.2 mile walk. Team CSUN is led and sponsored by the Unified We Serve Volunteer Program.

“By participating in this walk we hope to get the campus more involved and educated in providing resources to help combat this epidemic,” said Justin Weiss, activities coordinator of the volunteer program.

AIDS Walk Los Angeles began in 1985 and has become the largest AIDS fundraising event in California, bringing 30,000 participants together annually to fight HIV/AIDS, according to the event’s website.

Though the Aids Walk does not require participants to pay a registration fee or raise a specific amount of money, many teams raise funds to donate to the cause.

Last year, Unified We Serve donated about $9,000. The program set a goal to raise $10,000 this year, Weiss said.

The main beneficiary of these donations is the AIDS Project Los Angeles (APLA), an AIDS service organization devoted to improving the lives of people affected by this disease, reducing the risk of HIV infection and educating others on HIV public policy and prevention.

Unified We Serve has taken part in the AIDS Walk Los Angeles for the past three years, Weiss said.

“It’s a tremendous cause that we fully support and believe in,” he said. “For students interested in making a difference but never had the chance to participate, the AIDS Walk is the perfect opportunity to begin their service.”

Students must register under the team name “CSUN – 0003” on the AIDS Walk Los Angeles website: http://www.aidswalk.net/losangeles by Friday at 12 p.m.

Three buses will take students from CSUN to the event, and students are encouraged to reserve a seat by visiting the following website: http://studentvoice.com/csun/AIDSwalkbusregistration.

Buses will depart from the G3 Parking Lot at 7 a.m.