LGBTA brings performances and awareness to CSUN

With the recent repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and a U.S. Circuit Court ruling that California’s Proposition 8 banning same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, CSUN’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Alliance is calling 2012 “the year of the queer.”

On Feb. 22, LGBTA will host its fourth annual LGBTA showcase to celebrate and educate the public of queer milestones.  The showcase will be held in the USU Grand Salon from 7-9 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Sophomore Hugo Valencia, president of LGBTA and director of the event, said the showcase is an attempt to highlight their community and their efforts on campus. “Our one single mission is to gain equality by staying strong as a community,” Valencia said.

The showcase will include musical performances, including a reprisal of last year’s crowd-favorite, sophomore Shawn Thomas. Thomas will perform in drag as his diva alter ego, Roxanne.

Other performers include singer songwriter Nyla Hammond, a prominent member of CSUN’s a capella group, Acasola. Freshman Chelsea Smith will also strum her guitar and take the stage for a heartfelt number.

There will also be poetry readings, band segments and dance performances by CSUN students and LGBTA members. Valencia said LGBTA treasurer Doug Riechel will also attempt to add some spark to the event by fire-spinning with non flammable materials.

The showcase will also celebrate the Queer People of Color Conference that will be hosted at CSUN for the first time in March. Universities from across the nation will travel to the conference to discuss queer injustices among minorities.

“We [LGBTA] are the gateway for LGBTQ Matadors when they’ve got nowhere to turn to,” Valencia said. “We are here and we want everyone to know that.”