A.S. approves $1,300 for folklorico group

Stephanie Galeano, 21, treasurer of the Ballet Folklorico Aztlan de CSUN, asks for funding from AS for the organization’s 10th Annual Foklor de Mexico show on September 10. Photo credit: Virginia Ibarra / Contributor

Clarification: A.S. Finance committee suggested $1,300 for the Ballet Folklorico and the money was approved Friday at the A.S. Senate meeting

The Associated Students Finance Committee approved $1,300 for the Ballet Folklorico Aztlan de CSUN’s 10th annual Folklor de Mexico show Monday.

Stephanie Galeano, from Ballet Folklorico Aztlan de CSUN, asked for $7,400 in funding to help pay for the rental of Plaza del Sol, liability insurance and other miscellaneous expenses.

Jesus Martinez, 18, senator representative for finance committee and lower division senator for finance committee, made the motion to allocate the funds with the stipulation that the general manager allow $400 for liability insurance.

The allocation is half the amount that was approved the previous year. The motion was seconded by Gabbie Gomez, 20, assistant chair of the finance committee.

Martinez said that with the amount of fees that ballet members pay, ticket sales, department funding and USU co-sponsorship, the amount allocated should be enough.

The senate will vote on the allocated amount during Friday’s meeting.

Also discussed was the planning for the first-ever finance committee retreat to help train new committee members and open seats.

“I want to push for (the retreat) because we are going to have new members, so I feel we need training,” said Kevin Lee, 20, chair of finance committee.

There are three open seats for social and behavioral science, education, science and math, which no one has applied for. Applicants must be at least a sophomore, have a 2.0 GPA minimum, must be available from 1 to 3:30 p.m. on Mondays and have declared a major for the college whose seat they are applying for.

Upcoming events mentioned were the clubs and organization recognition conference, taking place Sept. 22, in which students will be educated on how to access funding, and the annual mandatory budget meeting taking place Oct. 12-14.