Monterey Jazz Festival coming to CSUN’s Valley Performing Arts Center

The Monterey Jazz Festival, the longest running jazz festival in the world, is bringing its 55th anniversary tour to CSUN’s own Valley Performing Arts Center January 23 at 8:00 p.m.

Leaving its home of the Monterey County Fairgrounds on the central coast of California, the Monterey Jazz Festival is taking to the road with six of its strongest world renowned musicians to bring the true soul of the festival to 40 cities in 23 states across the country. The VPAC is the ninth stop on the first leg of this special two-part tour.

Vocalist Dee Dee Bridgewater and bassist and musical director Christian McBride are leading the band on tour, backed by pianist Benny Green, drummer Lewis Nash, saxophonist Chris Potter and trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire, all of whom are seasoned jazz veterans.

Dee Dee Bridgewater is known for her unique style and soulful, powerfully emotional voice and has shared the stage with legendary musicians such as Dizzy Gillespie and Sonny Rollins. Since her immersion in the genre at a young age, Bridgewater has become a three-time Grammy Award-winning vocalist and one of the most sought after voices of her time.

Grammy-winning bassist Christian McBride, having 10 albums under his belt as a band leader and over 300 recordings along with countless live performances throughout his musical career, is leading the tour with his rhythmic, impromptu bass lines. As an arranger, composer, educator and true master of the double bass, or stand-up bass, McBride has become one of the most important and pervasive musicians in the jazz community.

Tickets for Wednesday’s performance are starting at $35 and can be purchased at the VPAC box office or valleyperformingartscenter.org via ticketmaster.com. If purchased at the box office with a valid student ID, CSUN students receive a 40 percent discount.

Be sure to arrive early, no late seating will be permitted.