Open Mic Night performers entertain a full house

Students filled the USU games room for the spring semester’s first Open Mic Night, an open comedy session, Thursday.

Host David Dorward, 20, CTVA screen writing major, said he wasn’t expecting the crowd of more than 35 students, but was happy to entertain them.

“Comedy is something I’ve known I wanted to do ever since I was a little kid,” Dorward said. “I like the reaction I get from people. I like making people laugh.”

Dorward said comedy can also help students unwind and forget about classes.

“College may be stressful for people. So if they have these events where (students) can come, laugh, relax and forget about their mid-term or the test they had, it really helps them out,” Dorward said.

Eric Garcia, junior film production major, performed comedy for the first time on stage.

“We are in a university and if we see opportunities we should take them. We only live once,” Garcia said.

He saw the event being advertised at the Student Recreation Center and said that he did not prepare for the event, but based his comedy on his life experiences.

USU Game Room employee, Stephanie Riley, 20, said she may consider performing on stage for the next Open Mic night.

“I thought about going on stage. I think I’m pretty funny and maybe I’ll be brave and do it, who knows,” she said.

Stand-up comedian and CSUN alumnus, Chris Gardner, 23, made a last minute appearance and students stayed past 10 p.m. to see him perform. The next open mic night will be March 28.