CSUN’s 2013 graduations come to a close

CSUNs 2013 graduations come to a close
The College of Health and Human Development saw hundreds of it's students graduate on Tuesday.  Dr. Samira Moughrabi, nursing faculty, gave the opening speech at a pinning ceremony for students who earned a bachelor's of science in nursing.
The College of Health and Human Development saw hundreds of it’s students graduate on Tuesday. Dr. Samira Moughrabi, nursing faculty, gave the opening speech at a pinning ceremony for students who earned a bachelor’s of science in nursing. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor

This week CSUN celebrated the academic accomplishments of nearly 10,000 students in more than 9 graduation ceremonies.

An estimated 7,753 candidates received their bachelors degree, 2,190 candidates received their masters degree and 19 candidates received their doctoral degree.

The graduation ceremonies began with the 31st annual Honor’s Convocation Monday, May 20. More than 2,000 graduates were recognized for their academic and extracurricular achievements. To be invited to participate in this ceremony, students had to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.88 or higher.

President Dianne Harrison opened the ceremony.

“The students we honor tonight represent the very best of Northridge,” she said. “You truly help make CSUN shine.”

The annual Black Graduation was held on May 20 as well. African-American graduates and their families filled the lawn behind Manzanita for the ceremony. More than 140 graduates, including 14 graduates receiving their masters, attended the event.

The College of Science and Mathematics, Health and Human Development and the Mike Curb College of Arts, Media, and Communication held their graduation ceremonies on May 21.

Graduating seniors and master students from the Mike Curb College of Arts, Media and Communication crossed the stage to obtain their respective degrees at 8 a.m. Graduating senior Anoushiravan Saboktakin was awarded the $10,000 Ravi K. and Amalia Sawhney Creative Excellence Award. This scholarship commemorated Saboktakin for his creative achievements and professional aptitude as a graduating senior.

Graduates of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences walked across the stage on May 22. Nearly 2,650 students and their families attended the ceremony, including Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa in support of his youngest son, Antonio Villaraigosa Jr.

President Harrison congratulated the mayor before addressing the graduates as a whole.

“I’ve heard your stories, and they are varied, and they are inspirational,” she said to students. “You have truly made CSUN shine.”

More than 500 students and their families gathered on the lawn behind Manzanita Hall at the College of Engineering and Computer Science’s commencement May 22.

CSUN alumnus Kunal Chitre, a software engineer for Digital Energy, addressed the Engineering and Computer Science graduates. Chitre congratulated the class on their achievements and the many sacrifices they have made to succeed.

“I can say this for definite certainty and personal experience: that trading those beach weather weekends for group studies, skipping movie nights to prepare for midterms and suffering through pages and pages of readings for that one question on your exam has paid off very well to this day,” Chitre said.

In addition to the above mentioned graduation ceremonies were the Aztlan Graduation and the Rainbow Graduation. The Aztlan Graduation took place on May 18.  The ceremonial  theme was “Our Inspirations: the people, places, and things that have inspired us to progress”.

Rainbow Graduation, a commencement ceremony for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Ally (LGBTQA) graduates, took place May 20. The ceremony congratulated the 26 graduates participating in the event for their academic achievements and diversity.

John J. Duran, keynote speaker and mayor of West Hollywood, spoke about his experiences being a gay man and a LGBTQA advocate in the 1980’s. Duran is one of the few openly gay and HIV-positive elected officials in the United States and his education has played a pivotal role in shaping who he is today.

The College of Humanities, College of Business and Economics and the Michael D. Eisner College College of Education celebrated their commencement ceremonies on May 22 and May 23.

Contributing reporting from Muna Adem, Megan Diskin, Charlie Kaijo, Jennifer Luxton, Luis Rivas, John Saringo-Rodriguez, and Taylor Villescas

CSUN students from the College of Health and Human Development graduated on Tuesday, May 21. Traditionally, nursing students participate in a pinning ceremony and their graduation ceremony upon completing their degrees.  Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor
CSUN students from the College of Health and Human Development graduated on Tuesday, May 21. Traditionally, nursing students participate in a pinning ceremony and their graduation ceremony upon completing their degrees. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor
The College of Health and Human Development students gathered on the Oviatt Lawn minutes before taking their seats for their commencement ceremony.  Many graduates customized their caps to fit their personalities and while doing so they made sure that they were easily spotted from a distance.  Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor
The College of Health and Human Development students gathered on the Oviatt Lawn minutes before taking their seats for their commencement ceremony. Many graduates customized their caps to fit their personalities and while doing so they made sure that they were easily spotted from a distance. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor
Hundreds of students participated in the College of Health and Human Development graduation on Tuesday. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor
CSUN students from the College of Health and Human Development graduated on Tuesday.  Many graduates creatively customized their caps with inspiring quotes. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor
CSUN students from the College of Health and Human Development graduated on Tuesday. Many graduates creatively customized their caps with inspiring quotes. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor
CSUN graduates celebrate getting their diplomas during the Art, Media and Communications graduation held at the Oviatt Library lawn, Wednesday. Photo credit: Loren Townsley / Editor in Chief
Students from the College of Science and Mathematics celebrated with friends and family at their graduation ceremony held on the Manzanita Hall Lawn on May 21. Those graduating with honors wore medallions. Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics , Dr. Jerry Stinner, and President Dr. Dianna F. Harrison were the main speakers. Photo credit: Luis Rivas / Opinions Editor
Several students decorated their graduation caps at the College of Science and Mathematics ceremony held on the Manzanita Hall Lawn on May 21. Professors wished graduating seniors good luck in their respective lives. Photo credit: Luis Rivas / Opinions Editor
Anthropology students wait for their turn to walk across the stage at the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences graduation May 22. Photo credit: Ken Scarboro / Senior Photographer
Graduates of the College of Social and Behavioral Science wait for their turn to take the final walk across the steps of the Oviatt Library to receive their degrees May 22. Photo credit: Ken Scarboro / Senior Photographer
CSUN graduates wait in line to receive their diplomas during the College of Engineering and Computer Science graduation held at the lawn behind Manzanita Hall, Wednesday. Photo credit: Loren Townsley / Editor in Chief
President Harrison congratulates CSUN graduates during the College of Engineering and Computer Science graduation, Wednesday. Photo credit: Loren Townsley / Editor in Chief
CSUN graduates stand in preparation of receiving their diplomas during the College of Engineering and Computer Science graduation held at the lawn behind Manzanita Hall, Wednesday. CSUN graduates wait in line to receive their diplomas during the College of Engineering and Computer Science graduation held at the lawn behind Manzanita Hall, Wednesday. Photo credit: Loren Townsley / Editor in Chief
CSUN graduates stand in preparation of receiving their diplomas during the College of Engineering and Computer Science graduation held at the lawn behind Manzanita Hall, Wednesday. Photo credit: Loren Townsley / Editor in Chief