VRC kickoff informs CSUN veteran students of campus services

Jason St. Pierre, 36, civil engineering major, visits the Veterans Resource Center for their semester kick-off event held on Tuesday, Aug. 27. Photo credit: Victoria Becerril / Daily Sundial

>>> CORRECTION: VRC Coordinator named Monteigne Long, not Montaigne Long.

The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) held their semester kick-off event Tuesday Aug. 27 and welcomed student veterans back to school for the fall semester.

The reception welcomed all students and faculty. The purpose of the event was to give veterans a chance to become aware of the services available to them through the VRC.

“It is an opportunity for students to socialize and learn of valuable resources,” said VRC coordinator Montaigne Long.

A VRC coordinator said that their primary goal is to help students with the transition into college by offering military services so that they can achieve a successful academic career.

Representatives from different on-campus departments, such as the Career Center, Klotz Health Center, the University Counseling Services, Student Veteran Organization, University Counseling Services were present to inform veteran students about the different resources they offer.

Veteran student and accounting major Victor Mendez said he enjoyed the event and attended to gain knowledge as a veteran student.

Non-veteran students, including junior English major, Alex Regla, attended the event as well.

“As a transfer student, it was really interesting to see that there were so many different resources available to veterans,” Regla said. “I didn’t even know these resources existed.”

Other non-veteran students including sophomore psychology major Shivon Pazos were there simply because the event was military-related.

“I like the military, even though I’m not in it,” Pazos said.

Nearly 20 people attended the event. Coordinators raffled off free AMC movie tickets and served served light refreshments to those in attendance.

“I don’t think too many people were aware of this event,” said history major, Akriti Shrivastava.

Students are encouraged to stop by the VRC and take advantage of these resources. The VRC is located in the USU, next to the Pride Center, and is open Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.