SRC invites students to water volleyball competition at Poolside Palooza

Students play water polo at the Poolside Palooza event at the SRC on Friday, Sept. 13. Photo credit: Neelofer Lodhy / Daily Sundial

The Student Recreation Center (SRC) hosted the Poolside Palooza, a water volleyball tournament that allowed students to come to the SRC pool to cheer on fellow Matatdors, Friday afternoon.

The event started at 3 p.m. and the first 75 students to arrive received a free meal from the Pub and Sports Grill.

“This is a good opportunity for the students to meet the players, and the players to meet the students,” said SRC Coordinator Kristofer Newsome. The intramural volleyball event is the first all university eligible competition of the semester.

“This is my first CSUN event I’ve attended,” said Mark Turac, graduating senior and marketing major. “Everything is great, my friend invited me out so I thought we’d both check it out, we saw the posters all around campus. I’d for sure come back to another event.”

This was the first time that the men’s volleyball team participated in a pool event.

“I hope to do one [event] every month until the season starts in January,” said Assistant Coach Theo Edwards. “We want to get involved as much as we can with the campus.

The Poolside Palooza is part of a series of events. The next event will take place on Friday September 27.