Student dials 911 after smelling smoke from Juniper Hall classroom

Said Malikob, a junior accounting major called 911 at 6:55 pm on Monday after students evacuated when they noticed a strong smokey smell in their business gateway class in Juniper Hall room 2228. Firefighters lift the ceiling panels to try to find the source of the smoke smell. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor
A class in Juniper Hall was evacuated on Monday night after students smelled smoke. Firefighters lifted the ceiling panels to try to find the source of the smell. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Editor

Firefighters and campus police responded to a student’s 911 call about smoke in a classroom in Juniper Hall Monday night.

Five minutes before Said Malikov’s 7 p.m. Business Gateway 302 class the junior accounting major called 911 to report smoke inside room 2228 in Juniper Hall.

“There was a smell of something burning and a high chance of fire,” Malikov said.

Firefighters were opening the ceiling panels to look for the source of the smoke.

Students didn’t even go inside the classroom according to junior systems and management major Masis Geragosian.

CSUN PD Corporal Tom Finnerty said that all electricity was shut down to the room as a precaution and that the problem may have been related to a part within the air conditioning system.

“It could possibly be the air conditioning belt,” Finnerty said, adding that the part can wear out.

“Five to seven minutes before class, I saw them (students) outside. I didn’t know about it at all. I walked in ready to go,” said Behnam Abrams, the class’ professor.

To proceed with their business gateway class, Cpl. Tom Finnerty and professor Behnam Abrams try to find a vacant classroom in Juniper Hall. Cpl. Finnerty said that the smoke may have come from an old air conditioning belt that wore out. The CSUN Police Department and LA Fire Department shut off the electricity to room 2228 in Juniper Hall. Photo credit: John Saringo-Rodriguez / Photo Credit