Unified We Serve members work to collect cans and food

Unified We Serve tabled for the 5th Annual Clothing and Food Drive at the Oviatt Lawn Tuesday morning. Photo credit: Matthew Delgado

As the autumn wind ripped through the Sierra Quad, knocking objects and sometimes people over, Unified We Serve (UWS) members battled the cold and continued to work for a good cause.

The fifth annual Clothing and Food Drive held by UWS started on Nov. 4 and has already been a success.

ClothingDrive2
Bellen Herrera, 21, Urban Planning major, informs students about the Unified We Serve Canned Food and Clothing Drive at the Oviatt Lawn, Tuesday Morning. Volunteers remind passersby that they may drop off good all week. Photo credit: Matthew Delgado / Contributor

“So far we’ve already got a lot donated,” said Penelope Lopez, a junior majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations.  “We don’t have a goal in mind.”

Lopez is determined to collect as many donations as possible. UWS has already collected three rolling-trash bins full of donations and plans to collect much more.

Donations will be sent to Meet Each Need with Dignity (MEND), a San Fernando Valley based non-profit that serves an average of 49,000 poverty-level clients each month, according to their website.

ClothingDrive3
Penelope Lopez, a junior journalism major, talks to students about the Unified We Serve Canned Food and Clothing Drive at the Oviatt Lawn, Tuesday morning. The items collected at the drive will be donated to M.E.N.D. a non-profit organization. Photo credit: Matthew Delgado / Contributor

With no relief in sight, the wind continues to knock over UWS signs, and even their canopy, but that doesn’t stop any of the volunteers from continuing to handout paper bags to students for any donations they want to return within the next week.

UWS will be tabling and collecting donations in front of the Oviatt Library until Nov. 13. On that same day they will present their donations to the CSUN community by displaying it on the Oviatt Library steps.