Where students can go to give back this Thanksgiving holiday

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 11.06.42 PM
Photo Illustration by: Yoscy Perez / Assistant Photo Editor

Thanksgiving is the time when students pack their bags and make their way home to feast on oven roasted turkey legs and munch on sliced pumpkin pie. As they spend time with their loved ones, many are thankful for having a warm and safe place to reside.

Unfortunately, there are hundreds of others who can’t say the same.

For those students who would like to put a smile on someones face this Thanksgiving holiday, check out these volunteer opportunities at the following local food charities. The homeless people of Los Angeles lack life’s basic necessities like food, shelter and water. Why not give back to those in need with a savory hot meal?

Westside Thanksgiving

St. Anne Catholic Church and School

2015 Colorado Avenue, Santa Monica

310-394-3153

Located in Santa Monica this location will hold a large clothing donation as well as distribute hygiene kits and meals. Those interested in joining this noble cause may bring gently used clothing, water bottles, bags of coffee and stuffed animals. Volunteers will be working in one of five shifts and though the charity can’t take reservations or sign-ups, those interested in helping are welcome to come.

Fred Jordan Missions

445 Towne Ave.

Los Angeles, CA

(626) 915-1981

The mission hosts a Thanksgiving Day on the streets of skid row. Volunteers will pass out meals, clothes, blankets and toys to the homeless and those with financial need. If you’re interested in helping out the charity, go online and fill out a form. The mission still needs volunteers for the afternoon shift from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Those who come by should bring a pie and an unwrapped gift for a child’s Christmas present.

Gobble Gobble Give

The Echo

1822 Sunset Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA

The Raven Spa

208 Pier Ave.

Santa Monica, CA

Get ready to participate in the biggest potluck ever. Those interested must bring Thanksgiving appropriate food  that is heated and anything helpful to the homeless. After, items will be packaged and delivered directly to the needy. Volunteer on the assembly line, delivering packages or organizing car rides. There is plenty  for everyone to do just RSVP prior to coming.

L.A. Works

Saturday Nov. 30

Playa Del Rey, CA

6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.

If students don’t want to desert their Thanksgiving traditions, then this organization is the place to be. Everyone comes together to prepare meals which will be sent out to shelters in West Hollywood where shelter volunteers pass them out. This November, L.A. Works will hold its 20th Annual Thanksgiving Homeless Feeding and Banner Creation. Volunteers will assemble around 1,600 meals then deliver them to local shelters. Students who are interested can go online and sign up. Those who come must stay for a minimum of three hours.