Pan-African studies department holds fair to promote Black History Month

Raquel Kennon, assistant CSUN professor, welcomes students at the Pan African Booth at the Black History Month Fair on Wedneday. Photo credit: Devan Patel / Daily Sundial
Dr. Raquel Kennon, assistant CSUN professor, welcomes students at the Pan African Booth at the Black History Month Fair on Wedneday. Photo credit: Devan Patel / Daily Sundial
Raquel Kennon, assistant CSUN professor, welcomes students at the Pan African Booth at the Black History Month Fair on Wednesday. Photo credit: Araceli Castillo / Daily Sundial

Black student organizations and clubs gathered today at the Plaza del Sol for the Black History Month Fair to raise awareness about the various events being held in honor of Black History Month, as well as different aspects of African-American culture.

Monye Durham, Black Student Union (BSU) president, felt there was a void at CSUN with regard to the promotion of events during Black History Month and was a main contributor for the event.

“When it comes to Black History Month, there wasn’t really a big event on campus where students on campus see and experience black culture,” Durham said. “A lot of African-American students on campus don’t even know these clubs or organizations exist.”

Durham, a junior and apparel merchandising major, said that the events during the month will focus around important aspects of black culture like food, community and building relationships.

Organizations like the BSU, NAACP, Pan-African studies department, the Black Male Initiative, CSUN Black Alumni and Hip Hop Think Tank were present during the fair and will be holding events throughout the month.

Aimee Glocke, assistant professor of Pan-African Studies, sees the fair as way of informing CSUN of the presence of these organizations and showing their purpose.

“It is an opportunity for all black student organizations on campus to get together and educate the university on what they do,” Glocke said.

Jamar Morris, senior English major, believes students can get more out of their CSUN experience by getting out and attending the festivities this month.

“There is a value in community engagement,” Morris said. “Getting involved and engaged adds a layer to your education.”