Baking and getting baked with cannabutter desserts

If you find yourself with a case of the munchies this 4/20 weekend, bust out the bakeware and put your cannabutter to good use.

Cannabutter is made by melting butter and infusing it with marijuana and then resolidifying the butter. The THC, the active chemical in marijuana, binds with the fats in the butter and then is transferred into the food. The following simple sweet treats can be easily converted into scrumptious edibles that everyone is sure to enjoy, user or not.

Nug Jug Cookies are loaded with chocolate chips, pistachios and a hint of booze for a mild crossfade. Wake n’ Bake Brownies will get the day started right with a bit of coffee and peanut butter, and can be made the night before to reduce the stress of cooking on an empty stomach.

Although the recipes are easier to complete with a stand mixer, your mom’s old-school egg beater or a stiff wire whisk and a rubber spatula will get the job done. It just may take a bit more elbow grease.

Nug Jug Cookies

Makes 1 dozen large cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 15- 20 minutes
Cooling Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty: 5/10

Ingredients:
4 ounces Unsalted butter (sweet cream butter) or cannabis-infused butter, room temperature
1 Large egg
½ cup Granulated sugar
¼ cup Brown sugar
1 tablespoon Vanilla extract or dark rum
1 ¼ cups All purpose flour
½ teaspoon Baking soda
½ teaspoon Iodized salt (table salt)
1 cup Chocolate chips
1 cup Pistachios, shelled

Instructions:
1. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt into a small mixing bowl and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place butter, egg, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract/rum in a stand mixer bowl, and beat at medium-high speed with a paddle attachment until mixture becomes fluffy.
3. Stop the mixer, scrape the paddle and sides of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated and beat again for another 30 seconds.
4. Reduce mixer to a low speed and add the sifted dry ingredients in three even increments, scraping the sides of the bowl to reduce clumping.
5. When all of the dry ingredients have been incorporated add the chocolate chips and pistachios, and mix for 30 seconds.
6. Divide the cookie batter into 12 even portions and form into mounds, spacing 2 inches apart onto a 18×12 inch baking sheet.
7. Bake until the cookies begin to brown, approximately 15-20 minutes. When finished, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating or storing.

Wake n’ Bake Brownies

Makes 2 dozen, 2 inch brownie squares

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20- 25 minutes
Cooling Time: 10- 15 minutes
Difficulty: 6/10

Ingredients:
8 ounces Unsalted butter (sweet cream butter) or cannabis-infused butter, room temperature
2 Large eggs
1 cup Granulated sugar
½ cup Chunky peanut butter
½ cup Vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Vanilla extract or whiskey
1 tablespoon Coffee grounds
¾ cup All purpose flour
¼ cup Cocoa powder
½ teaspoon Baking powder
½ teaspoon Iodized salt (table salt)

Instructions:
1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, coffee grounds and salt into a small mixing bowl and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place butter, sugar and vanilla extract/whiskey in a stand mixer bowl, and lightly blend at medium speed with a paddle attachment.
3. Add one egg at a time, until the previous one has been incorporated fully, and then add oil.
5. When all of the dry ingredients have been incorporated add the peanut butter and mix well.
6. Lightly grease and flour a 16×8 inch baking sheet or line with wax paper, and spread the brownie batter onto the pan in one, even layer.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on how gooey you prefer your brownies. When finished, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
8. Place a large cutting board over the cooled brownies and invert the pan onto the board. Gently tap the backside of the baking sheet until the brownie releases from the pan. If it doesn’t come out easily, trace the edge of the brownie with a butter knife or spatula. Cut brownies into squares.