Take a look inside the Broad

Inside The Broad, 1st floor.

There’s been a lot of hype behind the Broad, downtown Los Angeles’ newest museum. Through exhibits like the lighting room or perhaps the long line to get in, the new museum is definitely attracting a lot of art fans.

Built by philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad and designed by Diller Scofidio, the museum is free for the public. The contemporary museum offers more than 2,000 pieces works of art.

82-foot-long painting by Takashi Murakami

The building itself is a peace of art. The concept of “veil-and-vault” is innovative to see – a 120,000-square-foot, $140-million building features two floors of gallery. The experience of the Broad makes it unique and spacious. The elevator takes visitors to the top of the building where they enter a room with art from Jeff Koons named “Tulips”.

By Lari Pittman
By Lari Pittman

From Andy Warhol to Basquiat, the Broad’s art room offers enough diversity for all ages. The private collection by the philanthropists also offers different paintings, sculpture, music movie and sound that will leave anyone inspired.

The most talked about exhibit is the installation by Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama titled “Infinity Mirrored Room-The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away.” The room is small and is surrounded by mirrors and water. The viewer enters the room and stays on a small platform to experience the light for 45 seconds. It is an interesting experience that each visitor gets the privilege to experience alone if he or she has the time to get there early and sign up at the entrance.

The free tickets at the Broad can be reserved on the museum’s website. If the selected date is sold out, visitors are welcome to wait in standby for availability. The Broad is open six days a week, Tuesday through Sunday.