Being a sports journalist is…sigh…

By Staff Reporter Emin Avakian:

You know, it’s always nice getting reminded just why I love what I love doing.

One of those reminders came Tuesday night. The Northridge women’s volleyball team was hosting Cal State Bakersfield in a non-conference match. My editor will tell you I wasn’t too excited when he assigned me the story. But he was right. The team is my “baby.” Ok, maybe he didn’t use the best word there, but I knew what he meant.

Anyway, I get to the Matadome 20 minutes early, greet Associate Director of Media Relations Matt Monroe, who gives me pre-game stuff on the Roadrunners, take my seat, organize all my things, write a few pre-game notes, and sit patiently until first serve.

While I’m waiting for the match to start, and watching both teams practice on their fundamentals, a few thoughts run through my head: 1) I love doing this. 2) Imagine if this was a Lakers game I was going to cover and 3) Oh sweet, “Don’t Stop the Music” by Rihanna is playing. Did anyone see me breaking my neck like I’m at Pure in Caesar’s Palace? and 4) I’m glad I didn’t set out to be a news reporter. They don’t get to sit down.

I’ve always promised myself that if there ever comes a time when I’m not excited to cover a game, then it’s time to move on and find another passion. But now that I think about it, I wasn’t really excited to cover afternoon soccer games under the relentless sun. I guess I’ll allow you to call me wishy-washy.

But seriously, covering women’s volleyball all semester, but especially Tuesday night has reminded me why I’ve never wanted to be anything other than a sports writer.