Gavin Newsom calls on CSU’s to reform athletic departments

Kansas Jayhawks guard Naadir Tharpe (10) brings the ball through half court as Eastern Kentucky guard Corey Walden (2) defends during an NCAA Tournament game in St. Louis, Friday, March 21, 2014. (John Sleezer/Kansas City Star/MCT)

CSU’s have been called to reform the athletic department by Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom.

According to the L.A. Times, after a history of sanctions within the athletic deparment, Newsom said that this is a “wake up call.”

After the NCAA put CSUN on a three year probabation for academic fraud on Wednesday, Newsom sent a letter to Cal State Chancellor Tim White.

According to the L.A. Times, the letter stated Cal State University systems are offered an education in exchange for physical and career sacrafices, but some CSU campuses are “failing to uphold their end of the deal.”

This is the third major infraction the CSUN men’s basketball team has had in the last 12 years.

According to the NCAA major infractions list, the first was in 2004 for academic fraud with a penalty of three years probation.

The second was in the 2011-2012 season when the teams Academic Progress Rate report was subpar and the team was banned from post-season play.

The third being the academic fraud reported on Wednesday involving former operations of basketball director Lior Schwartzberg completing online coursework for ten players.

*This will be updated when we gather further information.