Spotlight: One student out of 36,000

William "Will" Borza's interest in music began at an early age and is now a music industries studies major at CSUN. Photo Credit / Christine Chen

After spending a year studying as a jazz major, then another year as a general music major at CSUN, William “Will” Borza, decided to change his major to music industry studies to have more options and flexibility in the job industry after graduating.

“Being a jazz major, I would only have one career path. But if I major in music industries, I can be a publisher, a producer, or even an audio engineer,” explained Borza.

Having more choices, options and flexibility is a big concern for Borza who aspires to be a well rounded professional in the industry.

“I like the idea of having it all under one roof. It’s like a one-stop shop,” said Borza. “Record labels usually outsource to other companies for producing and recording, but I want to do everything in one place.”

Getting into the music program at CSUN is difficult because unlike most majors on campus, the music program requires students to pass a musical audition, a one-on-one interview with a faculty member where students explain their goals and answer a 500 to 1,000-word essay problem. This year’s essay topic was about copyright laws.

“You have to have a musical background and be able to play an instrument to get into the program,” Borza said.

Borza’s passion in music began at an early age. He started banging on the piano keys at his grandmother’s house when he was just a toddler. From kindergarten through the fourth grade he began his formal musical training in piano. He started playing the trumpet soon after and during seventh grade, he began playing jazz music.

Borza was even in his high school jazz band and played in his community college band as well.

“I’ve always wanted to play in my own band,” said Borza. “I love jazz, it’s my favorite kind of music.”

Borza’s musical inspirations come from his favorite trumpet player Clifford Brown. Brown was a highly rated American jazz trumpet player in the 1950s who influenced many other famous jazz musicians, such as Wynton Marsalis, Booker Little and Donald Byrd. “He is the best trumpet player. His technical ability is amazing,” Borza said.

After graduating, Borza’s goal is to open his own record label, be a producer and operate a recording studio.

“That would be the ultimate dream,” said Borza.