Spotlight: One student out of 36,000

Kathleen Burrell, 19-year-old child development and sociology major is a vice president of "global movement to end violence against women and girls." Photo Caption: Kerstin Gulipan / Staff Reporter

Kathleen Burrell is fighting for vaginas everywhere, or at least is part of an organization that is.  The 19-year-old child development and sociology major is the vice president of the CSUN chapter of VDay, a “global movement to end violence against women and girls.”

Burrell, who her friends refer to as Katie, said with a bright smile she was “forcefully persuaded” into joining the organization.

“At first I wasn’t fond of it, but now look at me, I’m the vice president,” Burrell said, standing at the table outside of Sequoia Hall dedicated to promoting VDay.

“I think VDay helps to bring awareness about all the injustices toward women there are around the world.”

VDay is an organization that was started after Eve Ensler wrote the play “The Vagina Monologues,” which follows the stories of real women and their love or hate for their vaginas.  All proceeds from every production of the play go to non-profit groups that benefit women around the world.

The CSUN chapter of VDay is continuing this tradition, but on a more local level.

“We do fundraising and put on the play to raise money for women shelters and organizations that help battered women and girls,” Burrell said.

Last year the CSUN production of “The Vagina Monologues” raised thousands of dollars that was then generously donated to the Valley Trauma Center and Haven Hills.  Both centers provide services devoted to eliminating domestic abuse and violence against women.

“It’s sad that so many people just aren’t aware of what is going on around the world,” said Burrell.  “Like all the violence, genital mutilation…I wouldn’t want that, so I’m helping to spread the word.”

Burrell is currently in the process of promoting the open auditions for the next production of “The Vagina Monologues” next spring, which she is looking forward to.

Aside from spending time with VDay members and her fellow Vagina Warriors, those involved in the show’s production, Burrell said she also likes to hang out with her friends, play sports and eat cookies, but not necessarily in that order.

Burrell, originally from San Francisco, chose to come to CSUN instead of the other schools she was accepted to because it is “pretty and diverse.”  When Burrell graduates she hopes to pursue a career working with at-risk youths.