CSUN talent at Student Showcase

Photo Illustration
Photo Illustration by Sami Eshaghi / Assistant Photo Editor

The Union Program Council (UPC) will host the 8th annual Student Showcase on Thursday, Oct. 22 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Northridge Center at the University Student Union. The event serves to highlight talents including dance, vocal and magic performances from various CSUN students.

“It’s a really good way for us to reach out to a different population and have them be the talent,” co-chair of the UPC Jessica Balfour said. “A lot of times we bring talent in from the outside, but this way we can have the students showcase their talent.”

This year’s theme is Bollywood, a continuation of last year’s Hollywood theme.

“I decided to continue with the red carpet feel of the event by adding a new diversity to this year’s show,” said Shari Lucas, UPC student programmer and event coordinator for the showcase. “Since Bollywood is the Indian equivalent to Hollywood, I thought this would be a good evolution.”

The South Asia Club and the Bollywood Club will help the UPC achieve a Bollywood theme by opening up for the show. They will also have tables at the lobby to promote their organizations.

The UPC has been planning this event since the start of the semester. They were charged with coming up with the concept, decorations, flow of the event, rehearsals and getting the word out, said Balfour. Right now, she said, their concentration is getting the final decorations together.

“The decorations will make you feel like you have just stepped into Bollywood,” said Jagrup Singh, co-chair of the UPC.

There will be 19 performances this year and Lucas has been coordinating with the performers to ensure the student acts adhere to all the guidelines.

The performances range from beat boxers to dance groups, vocalists to a capella groups and magicians. Rappers and five-piece bands are also on the line up, Lucas said.

“I think it’s going to be really fun. We have a lot of variety,” Balfour said.

The performances will be judged in six different categories: best band, best vocal performance, best vocal ensemble, best solo performance, best dance and best overall in show. There will be a panel of three celebrity judges and one randomly selected student.

“It gives our students a chance to meet and interact with professionals in the field and give them a chance to see what’s out there for them. And for the professionals to see what we have at CSUN because we have a lot of talent here,” Balfour said.

The UPC feels this will be the biggest showcase thus far and they are excited to continue building the reputation of the show so it grows, Lucas said.

“This is the eigth annual show and every year it has been a great success,” Singh said.