Up All Night event offers amenities to get students through final study sessions

The "Up all Night" event began Wednesday evening in the Satellite Student Union (SSU) and will continue to Tuesday night. The event offers free food, massages, and a place to study for CSUN students.  Sami Eshaghi / Assistant Photo Editor
The "Up all Night" event began Wednesday evening in the Satellite Student Union (SSU) and will continue to Tuesday night. The event offers free food, massages, and a place to study for CSUN students. Sami Eshaghi / Assistant Photo Editor

CSUN students getting ready to end the semester by preparing for term papers, final exams and all-night study sessions can look to the Up All Night event as a potential way to relieve stress and replenish their energy.

Organized by the University Student Union (USU), Up All Night offers students free massages, access to 24-hour study rooms, free food, snacks and refreshments like coffee.

“Students can expect not only a place for them to take a study break, but we also provide them with resources to help them through finals,” said Matt Eickhoff, program coordinator for Training and Development at the USU.

He added that some of those resources include craft corners and games.

The event, which Eickhoff said could serve up to 2,000 students for its weeklong duration, will be held in the Satellite Student Union (SSU) in student housing, and two nights, in the new community center of Building 18.

“This event was co-sponsored by the RHA (Resident Hall Association), and since they had the new community center, we decided to alternate between the SSU and Building 18,” Eickhoff said. “It’s a way to appeal to students that live closer in that area.”

Samantha Carroll, a fourth year CTVA major, said she looks forward to the services provided by Up All Night during finals week since she first heard about it during her second year at CSUN.

“I like that it provides us with a better place to study other than the library. The massages are really good, because I get so tense during finals,” Carroll said.

Another feature Carroll has come to expect from Up All Night is the free dinner offered to students during the week.

“A lot of people don’t want to have to worry about preparing meals or cooking during finals or not having to spend money, especially the freshmen and it’s just one less thing to think about,” Carroll said.

However, the free dinner will not be provided by the USU this year.

“Geronimo’s is now open later, until 11 p.m., and we did not want to compete with them, since students can get food from them,” Eickhoff said.

Other than that difference, Eickhoff said students can expect the same Up All Night experience they have had in the past semesters.

But it is not only the free food and massages that attract students to Up All Night. For Alem Abebe, a junior biochemistry major, it is the atmosphere provided that helps her get through finals.

“I always have difficult finals to study for, and it always stresses me out so much. It’s a little less stressful to be able to study with my friends in a more relaxed environment,” Abebe said.

“In the library, we have to be quiet and we can’t eat. At Up All Night, we get our massages then head to the study rooms, there’s coffee at hand, ready to pull all-nighters,” Abebe added.

Eickhoff said that in the end, he hopes students will come out to take full advantage of what has been provided for them.

“This is one of the few events on campus that appeals to every student and they can all benefit from it,” he said.