Lucky Baldwin’s keeps it London style

Lucky Baldwin’s Pub on a Saturday afternoon was not as crowded as I thought it was going to be. There are two locations one in Old Town Pasadena and the other on Sierra Madre. Lucky Baldwin’s in Pasadena is a British pub and eatery that offers both patio and inside seating.

When I entered the pub there was what appeared to be a small gift shop and café that sold tees with the pub’s name on them. The hostess told us to sit anywhere so my guests and I decided to sit inside. The table seating was not comfortable at first but we arranged it a bit to fit our long legs.

The menu had breakfast, lunch and dinner. I noticed the breakfast and lunch prices ($4.75-$12.95) are cheaper than the dinner prices ($7.75-$14.95).  There was also a menu of the 62 beers on tap, imported beer from the United Kingdom and wine. I am not a fan of beer so I just ordered a regular soda ($1.25) which was cheap but found out later that there were no refills.

We made it in time for lunch so I ordered the Lucky B’s Hamburger served with chips (fries) and lettuce, tomato, and onion garnish on the side. One of my guests ordered fish and chips, and the other two ordered a custom made sandwich where you fill out a form with the type of meat, garnish, cheese and bread.

While I waited for my food, I decided to browse around the place. The pub is small and I got a British and Irish feel from the place. Most of the wall décor was of rugby teams, a map of the United Kingdom and various types of beers.  Flat screen televisions were showing both the soccer game and the British Broadcasting Corp.

The only thing that did not match with the British feel of the place was the USC and UCLA memorabilia on the wall.

There were stairs that led up to the upstairs seating area to watch sport but only for the 21 and over crowd.

Back downstairs there was a jukebox that had various types of music which played David Bowie as I walked around the pub. Near the bar were mostly college students with their pitcher of beer and the indoor and outdoor patio seating had families.

By the time I went back to my seat, our food had arrived. My Lucky B’s Hamburger tasted like a regular restaurant hamburger, nothing special. My guest that ordered the fish and chips said it was delicious and not greasy. My other guests that ordered custom made sandwiches picked tuna as their choice of meat on a French roll bread with chips. My other guest had ham and melted American cheese on white bread.

For dessert, I decided to pick their specialty which was the Belgian Chocolate Mousse. When it first arrived, it looked plain and not at all appetizing. When I took a bite I changed my mind and thought it tasted sweet and it was a large portion that my guests and I shared.

I recommend this pub for people that are over 21 and want something to do at night with friends, the food not so much. I would go again but at night with friends to see how different it is from the daytime.

Last note, parking is available on the street if you can find any or you can park at the garage next door to the pub that is $6 for the whole day or the first 90 minutes for free. After eating you can always shop or browse around in Old Town Pasadena to get rid of those calories.