Geronimo’s undergoes makeover, menu changes

CSUN’s only all-you-can-eat buffet, Geronimo’s, has a brand new look and a revamped outlook on the importance of healthy eating.

Entering through the bright yellow doors, guests are encouraged to get comfortable in the sprawling dining hall. With plenty of seating and art work displayed throughout the room, Geronimo’s eatery welcomes all appetites.

Located next to the Satellite Student Union (SSU), nestled within the residence halls at Zelzah Ave. and Lassen St.  on the CSUN campus. Claudine Marshall, general manager and executive chef at Geronimo’s said it is important to have healthy options at Geronimo’s.

“The public is paying more attention to what they eat,” Marshall said. “To follow that trend, we have to focus on our method.”

The staff of Geronimo’s felt it was their duty to offer their patrons the best possible food they could offer, while keeping the cost to a minimum, Marshall said.

“The cost is extremely low and reasonable,” Marshall said. “ It is one of the cheapest meal plans in the Cal State system.”

After recently undergoing a 3.5 million dollar makeover last summer the establishment went from seating for 200 to 500, Marshall said. The completion of the remodeling will be done at the start of the fall 2010 semester.

Geronimo’s offers an added bonus to the dining experience with the addition of two big screen TV’s and couches for students to hang out.

“They can come in, swipe their cards and stay all day if they want to,” Marshall said.

The eatery maintains all of the delights of a typical buffet but they found a way to incorporate healthy items throughout the spread by including such items as whole wheat bread, a full service salad bar, lean proteins and fresh fruits and vegetables. The staff of forty-five is comprised of restaurateurs who have brought the restaurant mentality to CSUN, Marshall said.

“Nothing stops us from preparing something good, we mainly work from scratch,” Marshall said. “We cook as we go, in batches and prepare everything fresh.”

Geronimo’s enlisted the help of a dietitian to develop a healthy dining map where students are able to navigate to healthy choices such as options lower in fat or calories but high in fiber and nutrients, Marshall said.

During the semester, Geronimo’s offers the students the opportunity to try new foods during their weekly “Ask a Dietitian, “ sessions  held on Tuesdays.

According to Marshall, the dietitian will meet with students to discuss nutrition and hand out samples of foods for the students to try.

“There is a lot of education that has to come from Geronimo’s, we plan to increase that a lot in the fall,” Marshall said. “The focus over the past year was concentrated on the food, now we are slowly introducing healthy options. “

The infusion of new and old favorites allows Geronimo’s to cater to everyone, Marshall said. Visitors are able to explore meal options from seven different stations to satisfy any craving.

Geronimo’s is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Non-meal card holding students and members of the public are welcomed at the following rates: Breakfast $8.95, Lunch $9.95, Dinner $10.95.

View Geronimo’s All You Can Eat Buffet in a larger map