Oviatt to host retirement party for library dean

The dean of the Oviatt Library is retiring at the end of this semester, but not before her colleagues, friends and students give her a farewell bash.

Harry Hellenbrand, provost and vice president for academic affairs, said the university library and himself are the hosts for Susan Curzon’s retirement party.

He said they are expecting over 100 guests in  the Jack and Florence Ferman Library Presentation Room Monday Nov. 29 from 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.

“There will be appetizers, mingling, and words of wisdom and appreciation,” Hellenbrand said. “Anyone is welcome to join the commemoration to express their appreciation for the many years of service, dedication, and the overall contribution made by Susan Curzon to the University, to the California State University (CSU), and the community.”

Joyclyn Dunham, Projects and Programs Coordinator of the Oviatt Library, designed the fliers. She encourages everyone to bring cards, notes and photos to share with Curzon to stroll around memory lane.

President Jolene Koester, Hellenbrand, and Curzon herself will give a speech to the attendees.

Library Systems Administrator, Eric Willis has known Curzon for 18 years, and reported directly to her for over 15 years.

“Sue has been an exceptional leader for the Library and CSUN, Willis said.  “Passionate about learning and committed to student success, Sue’s vision has shaped the Oviatt Library we know today.  Her open-door policy and collaborative style has fostered an atmosphere of security and stability for Library faculty and staff even in unstable times.”

Willis added that on a personal note, it will be difficult for him to imagine working for anyone else.

“Echoing something Provost Hellenbrand said recently, there will be another Library Dean, but there will never be another Sue Curzon,” Wills said.

Willis said he will be attending the celebration.

“(I) will be looking forward to sending Curzon off to her well-deserved retirement with the accolades she has earned and appreciation she deserves,” Wills said.

Curzon says she’s honored and appreciative.

“It has been a pleasure to work at CSUN,” she said. “There are so many wonderful people here,” Curzon said. “If I do (write a speech) it will be short.  I just want to say thanks, thanks for everything.”

Curzon said she is looking forward to having the luxury of time.

“I do have a couple more books I would like to write,” she added. “Naturally, I want to travel more and spend more time with family and friends.”

RSVP is required by calling or emailing Mickey Martinez, secretary to the dean library administration the last day to do so is Nov. 23.