CSUN student to host mtvU “Dean’s List”

CSUN journalism major, Liberty Zabala, sits in the Valley View newsroom in Manzanita Hall. Zabala will have her top ten music video picks air on mtvU's 'Dean's List,' and the opportunity to promote CSUN's Radio Television Digital News Association, of which she is the president. Photo Credit: Tessie Navarro / Visual Editor

A Matador will be popping up on mtvU’s top-10 music video countdown soon.

CSUN journalism major Liberty Zabala will be hosting the network’s top-10 video countdown for the show “Dean’s List.”

“I was so happy when I found out I won (the contest),” Zabala said.

Contestants have the opportunity to host an episode of “Dean’s List” and represent their student group on air.

“I surf the web like crazy,” Zabala said.  “I happened to be on MTV and saw a link to mtvU.

“There was listed a contest where you can post your own countdown to promote a club. I thought this would be a great way to promote CSUN Radio Television Digital News Association.”

Zabala sent a list of her 10 favorite videos and a short paragraph describing why she chose them.

“I choose ‘I Need a Doctor’ by Dr. Dre, because I love rap,” Zabala said.  “I grew up listening to rap music, and my favorite (rappers are) Eminem and Dr. Dre.”

“Howling For You” by the Black Keys, and “E.T.” by Katy Perry and Kanye West also made the list, chosen for their creativity, she said.

Zabala’s top 10 also included “Hurricane” by 30 Seconds to Mars, “6 foot 7” by Lil Wayne, “Waiting for the End” by Linkin Park, “Telephone” by Lady Gaga, “Gucci Gucci” by Kreayshawn, “Monster” by Paramore and “Stereo Hearts” by Gym Class Heroes.

Appearing on the show will let Zabala showcase her tastes, but also plug her CSUN journalism club.

“We do so much, and it deserves to be recognized,” Zabala said.  “We really want to advance people’s opportunities and career chances after college by helping.”

Keep an eye on mtvU and mtvU.com to catch Zabala’s episode of “Dean’s List.”