Freshman dances toward his dreams

Photo Courtesy of Taylor Villescas
Photo courtesy of Taylor Villescas

With over 33,000 students, CSUN is no stranger to colorful personalities, and a new freshman has danced his way onto campus.

“Right now, I’m planning on going out for the dance team or the cheer squad,” Christian Vidaure said.

A dancer for six years, Vidaure has performed tap, jazz, ballet, hip-hop, musical theater, lyrical and Latin ballroom dancing.

He has competed in multiple hip-hop and jazz competitions, taught classes in those genres and performed in a dance workshop called The Pulse.

“The Pulse is an intensive two-day dance event that features the top choreographers in the dance industry, whether it be choreographers from Broadway, music videos or ‘So You Think You Can Dance,’”

Vidaure said. “In the end, you gain a tremendous amount of knowledge from the choreographers and they help you become a better and stronger dancer.”

It may seem safe to assume Vidaure is studying an artistic subject, but dancing isn’t Vidaure’s only passion.

The communicative disorders major said he used to have a stuttering problem, so he intimately knows the subject matter.

Inspired by a speech pathologist who worked at his high school, Vidaure chose CSUN for its highly recognized deaf studies program.

“I want to work in elementary and middle schools and help kids with speech impediments,” Vidaure said.

He plans to pursue this  field while staying in the Los Angeles area instead of returning to his hometown of Stockton in Northern California.

While working toward his degree, Vidaure hopes to either double-major or minor in dance.

In the meantime, he plans to keep busy with dance teams and hopefully join the casts of a few musicals on campus.

“I produced, choreographed and starred in a production of Disney’s ‘Aladdin Junior’ at my high school,” Vidaure said. “I’m excited to get involved here with dance, as well as theater. I can’t wait to begin my journey.”