Drinks, sports, and music at Stovepiper Lounge

Two friends share drinks at the bar at the Stovepiper Lounge in Northridge, which is open seven days a week. Photo Credit: Charlie Kaijo / Daily Sundial

When I first pulled up to The Stovepiper Lounge, I immediately noted the strange location; in a shopping center with Office Depot on Parthenia St. While this makes for an awkward bar location, there was plenty of free parking and its location is convenient to CSUN students.

As I walked in through the red velvet curtains, I immediately saw the bar to my right and the seating area along the left side of the room. There was a mainly middle-aged crowd of regulars, but as the night progressed, many CSUN students and their friends made their way in for a night of drinking.

The lounge has four televisions and one projector screen, all tuned into sports. It has a quiet and comfortable atmosphere for all sports fans to watch the games in high definition.

In addition to being a place to watch the game, the Stovepiper has live band performances and karaoke nights.

The lounge offers more seating than a typical bar, including booths and tables. At the very end of the bar is a small stage area, unusually decorated with red Christmas lights, and a dance floor. Needless to say, the furniture and décor lack an upscale feel.

The atmosphere changed after 10 p.m. and turned into more of a club scene. Although the DJ played contemporary music that you would hear in most clubs, there were only a few people on the dance floor. The music included everything from Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg to Rhianna’s latest pop hit, “We found Love.”

An old-school jukebox and a popcorn machine sit in one corner of the seating area. By the looks of them, neither have been touched in years.

The drinks were delicious and reasonably priced. My apple martini had just the right amount of alcohol while still maintaining its sweet taste. The lounge also features drink specials for everyday of the week, such as $2 shot Wednesdays.

The only food I saw, other than the random popcorn machine, were peanuts and pretzels, the typical staple of all bars.

The Stovepiper Lounge also runs promotional offers, such as free shots to patrons who check in on Facebook.

The bartenders and staff were friendly, inviting my friend and I over to the bar if we needed to order any drinks or had any other questions.  The overall atmosphere was casual and the DJ was great, making for a fun night for all.