Communications and marketing mastermind, Stacy Lieberman, leaves CSUN

Stacy Lieberman stands outside of University Hall where she worked as Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communications for nearly two years. After leading projecets centered on building CSUN pride, she will take her skills to the Autry National Center. Photo credit: Ken Scarboro/ Senior Photographer

>>CLARIFICATION: “CSUN Today” will launch this week, not on Aug. 27. And Lieberman is not solely responsible for the positioning platform, she assisted in its development.

Stacy Lieberman, associate vice president of marketing and communications at University Advancement for CSUN, announced her resignation on Aug. 10, 2012, effective today.

During her time at CSUN beginning in January 2011, Lieberman contributed a multitude of ideas and improvements for CSUN.

Along with her staff, she developed “CSUN Today,” an online newsroom that will promote the University through the web. “CSUN Today” launched on Aug. 27.

Lieberman developed a new positioning platform to help generate pride internally and externally for CSUN’s many accomplishments.

The platform, “CSUN. Shine.” was unveiled at the Fall 2012 Freshman Convocation that took place on Aug. 23.

Lieberman hopes the new platform will distinguish the university for its hands-on approach and care for student success for those who haven’t set foot on campus.

Lieberman also co-led the Web Coordination Group, a committee responsible for graphic and style guidelines for WebOne, CSUN’s new web content management system to be implemented in the coming months.

Before her position at CSUN, she worked as the director of external affairs at the Skirball Cultural Center for nearly 10 years.

“I had been in the cultural world for years, but I heard of this opportunity to create and unify a cohesive message for CSUN’s story and the excellence that was here,” Lieberman said.

Vance T. Peterson, vice president for University Advancement at CSUN, hired Lieberman when he knew her skill set and experience “would be a terrific fit for CSUN.”

“Stacy contributed enormously to the University, and she is a first-rate professional who will be greatly missed,” Peterson said.

Another major contribution from Lieberman was the reorganization of protocols for emergency communications on campus. She evolved the structure and responsibilities of the communications staff in the Emergency Operations Center to better respond to social media during times of crisis, which proved beneficial after last year’s gunman scare.

Lieberman also established “Campus Communicators,” a group of over 50 CSUN staff members who represent all divisions of the University to build cohesive communications. This group collaborates on social media applications, branding and web communications among other initiatives.

Kevin Lizarraga, part of the Campus Communicators group at the University Student Union, said Lieberman laid the groundwork for future accomplishments.

“Before her, there was no arena for campus professionals to talk about goals under one umbrella,” Lizarraga said, who has been the USU’s marketing manager for over six years. “That was a lofty and ambitious goal for her, and it was a remarkable accomplishment.”

Lizarraga said she started a mission for CSUN to have a stronger brand, and he wished Lieberman could stay.

“I am a big Stacy fan,” Lizarraga said. “I could talk about her all day.”

Although Lieberman will be greatly missed by her colleagues, she has accepted a new position at the Autry National Center at Griffith Park as vice president of communications, marketing and visitor experience.

In her letter of resignation, Lieberman said she will lead a team that will help “redefine and expose to a larger public the wonders and complexities of the American West.”

Lieberman said she is confident her new opportunity will be rewarding and will help her provide more balance in her life.

“My track record is helping public institutions with public narrative…building pride, owning successes, engaging community, alumni, students and stakeholders in the story,” Lieberman said. “I am strongly hoping the groundwork I’ve laid paved the way for CSUN’s story to be told in prideful ways.”

A successor for the position has yet to be named.