Shooting leaves 1 dead and 3 injured near Northridge

Two bullets entered the sliding glass door of Bilai Wellthy’s apartment on the corner of Parthenia and Balboa early Tuesday morning. An unidentified gunmen opened fire at a car in front of Wellthy’s apartment, killing one and injuring three. After hearing five gun shots, Wellthy discovered one bullet on the floor of her dining room and the second between a thick window near her kitchen. She was not injured. Photo credit: Charlie Kaijo / Assistant Photo Editor

>>UPDATE 8:01 p.m.

Police received a call around 12:07 a.m. on Tuesday about a shooting on Balboa Boulevard and Parthenia Street that left one man dead and three people injured, according to LAPD Officer Chris No.

Bilai Wellthy heard five gunshots from the bedroom of her apartment. An unidentified gunmen opened fire on a car across from her home killing one and injuring three. She was not injured but discovered several hours later that two bullets had entered her apartment shattering her sliding door.

“I was thinking, ‘what happened?’ I was scared, and I saw through the window from my room,” Wellthy said. “I saw one guy talk on the phone behind the car. The door was open, and I heard a lady cry. I thought she got shot. She was crying, painfully.”

Wellthy said the helicopter was the first thing to come, followed by the police, ambulance and fire department. The street was later closed down.

Upon arrival, officers found four victims, two male and two female, who had sustained wounds during the shooting.

Miranda Blanca, 23, former CSUN student, lives next door to Wellthy.

“I heard seven gunshots. My sister said it was six,” Blanca said. “We were debating whether it was seven or six.”

She looked out her window and saw two men lying on the ground near the driver’s side.

“They were both shot. I couldn’t really see if they were bleeding. One of them was just moving his arm trying to get the other guy to wake up, but he couldn’t, and he just laid there waiting for the paramedics to get here.”

A woman walked around the side of the car, talking on her phone while a child was crying, according to Blanca.

“He was really little, maybe 4 or 5,” she said.

Blanca said paramedics arrived about 10 to 15 minutes after the incident, but one of the victims was not responding.

“One of the male victims was transported to Northridge hospital where he later succumbed to his wounds,” No said. “The other three victims were taken to other local hospitals and their condition are unknown.”

No other injuries were reported.

According to No, the shooting does not appear to be a car-to-car shooting. It appears that the suspect approached the victims and shot at them.

“There is at least one suspect, possibly more,” No said. “There is no other description other than male Hispanic.”

Detectives believe that the incident may be gang-related, but are still unsure.

Jason White, senior crime analyst for LAPD, said that there are not many homicides in this area because there is not a high concentration of gangs.

“Homicides tend to be very personal,” White said. “We don’t have a lot of gangsters so there are not many drive-bys.”

Wellthy, who lives alone, has been living her for six years or more and said this is the first time this has ever happened.

“Right now, I don’t know what I will do, but I’m going to try to sleep,” she said. “I only slept for two hours.”

Blanca has lived in the apartment next to Wellthy for almost 10 years with her parents and younger sister, Yuliana, who is a CSUN grad student.

“I’d never think that that would happen here (because) Northridge is really calm. I would expect this in Van Nuys or something, that’s why we moved out of there,” she said. “There were too many shootings. It’s scary because this could happen anywhere.”

The investigation is still ongoing.

>>UPDATE 5:30 p.m.

The motive for the shooting is still unknown and there is no update on the other victims

>>UPDATE 12:42 p.m.

None of the four victims were CSUN students, according to LAPD Devonshire division.

>>UPDATE 9:05 a.m.

Police received a call around 12:07 a.m. on Tuesday about a shooting on Balboa Boulevard and Parthenia Street that left one man dead and three injured, according to LAPD Officer Chris No.

No other injuries were reported.

The shooting is currently under investigation. Check back later for more details.

>>8:36 a.m.

There was a shooting just after midnight on Monday leaving one man dead and three others injured, according to the L.A. Times.

The shooting, which took place on Balboa Boulevard and Parthenia Street, is currently being investigated by LAPD.

The victims, two men and two women, were taken to a nearby hospital, where one of them later died.

More information to come.

Additional reporting by Andrew Clark. 

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.