A.S. allocated money, talked graduation caps

The Associated Students approved the allocation of $4,950 for the Central American United Student Association for its 2012-13 budget from the assigned contingency at its Friday meeting at the Satellite Student Union.

Malek Al-Marayati, science and mathematics senator said he supports the organization but also said it was a lot of money.

“We should consider that at this point, allocating this amount of money would bring assigned contingency under $10,000,” he said.

New senate member, Sean Leverance for Engineering and Computer Science, listens to fellow senate members discuss the budget at the Satellite Student Union on Oct. 12. Photo credit: Marc Evangelista / Contributor

Funds would be used for guest speakers, conferences, equipment rental, and facility use, among other purposes.

The student government also appointed engineering major Sean Leverance as a senator of engineering and computer science.

Fabian Cook, a transfer student from Pierce College, was appointed to the finance committee for business and economics.

A.S. President Sydni Powell discussed the proposal of the CSU board of trustees to change Title 5 and by capping bachelor’s degrees at 120 semester units, with the exception of certain programs, such as architecture.

The change could reduce degree programs offered in the CSU.

Leverance said engineering majors graduate with 126 units and some classes for that major have already been dropped, perhaps to meet the unit cap.

“So if they drop anymore they’re really missing classes that are essential to our education,” he said.

Other items discussed included hazing in campus organizations and amendments to the budget language.