Beat the Blues Week comes to CSUN

The Blues Project is partnering with several on-campus organizations to raise awareness about depression and suicide prevention as well as promote student wellness.

“We will host a full week of activities, including a fair, guest speakers, and several workshops,” said Vaheh Hartoonian, assistant coordinator for peer programs and co-facilitator for the Blues Project. “This is a huge, campus-wide collaboration.”

In addition to guest speakers and workshops, Hartoonian said they will also be promoting two new tools available to students.

“Student Health 101 is an online magazine available via students’ portals and the University Counseling Services website (and) offers lots of helpful articles that focus on student wellness. It’s a fantastic resource that students will find relevant and useful,” Hartoonian said. “Students can also take advantage of our new depression screening tool, www.csun.edu/get-screenings. Students can anonymously take the survey and find out more about what resources may be available to them, if they feel they need some help.”

Events

Today

10 a.m. to 4 p.m.:  BLUES, JADE and DATE will be tabling at the Matador Bookstore, Orange Grove Walk, Matador Walk Plaza del Sol and Cleary Court

5:30 to 6:30 p.m.: Beat the Blues Zumba at the SRC’s Motivation Studio

7 to 8:30 p.m.: Dr. Fredrick Elias will end the night with a speech called “I Can, I Will: Dynamics for Personal Success” in Sierra Hall 180

Tuesday

10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Beat the Blues Week Fair on Matador Walk in front of the Oviatt Library

2 to 3 p.m.: Marta Lopez will be giving a lecture called Depression in Children and Adolescents in the West Valley Room at the USU

6:30 to 7 p.m.: Beat the Blues Yoga in the SRC’s Inspiration Studio

Wednesday

12:30 to 1:30 p.m.: Finals Prep: Relaxation Workshop in the Thousand Oaks Room at the USU

2 to 3 p.m.: Dr. Alison Freeman with the National Center On Deafness will give a lecture called Dealing with Depression

6:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Beat the Blues Zumba in the SRC’s Motivation Studio

6 to 8 p.m.: Candlelight Memorial and panel in remembrance of those lost to suicide and in honor of those impacted by suicide. The panel will begin at 6 p.m. in the Johnson Auditorium and the memorial will be on the Oviatt Library steps at 7 p.m.

Thursday

10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: BLUES, JADE and DATE will be tabling at the Matador Bookstore, Orange Grove Walk, Matador Walk, Plaza del Sol and Cleary Court

12:30 to 1:30 p.m.: Finals Prep: Overcoming Depression in the Thousand Oaks Room at the USU

1:30 to 2:30 p.m.: Beat the Blues Pilates in the SRC’s Inspiration Studio

4 to 5 p.m.: Finals Prep: Anxiety Management in the Thousand Oaks Room at the USU

7 o 8:30 p.m.: Dr. Vincent Vigil’s lecture called Awareness, Intervention, and Action: Addressing Suicide in the LGBTQ Community.