Senate urges science aid

Associated Students senators approved Friday a resolution encouraging the chemistry and physics department to provide tutoring for lab courses and parallel progression in lecture and lab material for science courses.

The move came during a special meeting called at the beginning of the semester’s last legislative meeting.

The meeting and subsequent vote was in response to a survey of 170 students in 100-level physics and chemistry courses. The data showed more than half had problems with the pacing at which material was covered.

The senate also approved the allocation of $10,280 to A.S. Productions for an upcoming conference in Nashville, Tenn., during the special meeting.

The senate then reconvened its regular meeting, allocating $6,300 to the International and Exchange Student Center ($3,300 for its trainee student development leader and $3,000 for its English tutor, both for the spring semester); $5,600 to the Matador Involvement Center; and $7,500 to the A.S. Senate Office Management for its winter retreat. A total of $1,300 was transferred to A.S. Campus Recycling Services from residual funds for America Recycles Day.

A.S. also approved the constitutions of six organizations: the National Press Photographers Association, CSUN Student Chapter, CSUN College Chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Matador Badminton Club, the Linguistic Student Organization and CSUNaturals.

With the semester coming to a close, A.S. President Sydni Powell said she was very pleased with the efficiency and preparation of this year’s senators.

While the student government organized the  Big Show in October and donating $50,500 to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts, Powell said smaller feats also contribute to the organization.

“A lot of where A.S. pride points come from are not things that are really tangible,” she said.

”Anything A.S. has accomplished this year, or will ever accomplish in its life, isn’t always the big stuff. It’s really the small stuff, like getting the display case at Sierra Hall fixed or making sure labs and lectures coincide. That’s really where the meat of A.S. accomplishments are.”

A.S. affects student life on a daily basis in small, yet impactful way, regardles of whether students realize it, Powell said.

“But at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter whose logo goes on it. Sometimes, you can’t even put a logo on the things we’ve done,” she said.

Some events the student government has lined up for the spring semester include the Big Comedy Show and Big Lecture, though dates have yet to be determined. Other continuing goals include expanding the sports club program, A.S. recycling and more tabling on campus to spread awareness about the organization.

“Next semester should be pretty exciting,” she said.

One of the ways in which A.S. could improve is by more interaction with the student body, Powell said.

“There’s no denying that more people know about A.S. now and we’re going to try our best to make sure students know who we are and what we can do for them and how they can get involved,” she said. “My call to action for students is to come visit us or tell us where to come visit them.”